This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Eczema

Porcelina

Porcelina Contributor

Since I've reintroduced gluten back into my diet these past few weeks, my eczema has come back. I know eczema is common in celiacs but I want to ask, how many of you get a 'non-itchy' kind? I have always had this and what I have closely resembles nummular eczema. From my understanding, its looks like coin or oval shaped lesions which is what I have all over my legs and now along my jawline.

I saw a doctor once when I was a kid regarding it and all he said was put hydrocortisone cream on it if its itchy, but it never has been.

Of course, when I went almost gluten free for a year, it pretty well disappeared but now its back and I'm just wondering if anyone else has gotten this type of rash before.

BTW, its not DH. Doesn't look anything like it and its not in the same usual spots.  I did get pityriasus rosea for 3 months once though and my God I hope to never get that again!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

june27 Apprentice

I have had sensitive skin (rashes, itchy) off and on for most of my life.  I am not sure if it was eczema or not, but mine are typically pretty itchy.  Since going gluten free (spring of 2012), I have not had any skin issues.  As I am writing this, I am realizing that I usually get really dry skin around my neck at this time of year and I have had no issues this year.  Maybe gluten-free is helping this too!

I also had pityriasus rosea many years ago - and that was NOT FUN!   I went in thinking the doc was going to tell me that I had dry skin on my back and send me away.  Instead, she rushed out to get a book to show me that I looked 'just like the picture'.  It was not very comforting :)

Porcelina Contributor

I have had sensitive skin (rashes, itchy) off and on for most of my life.  I am not sure if it was eczema or not, but mine are typically pretty itchy.  Since going gluten free (spring of 2012), I have not had any skin issues.  As I am writing this, I am realizing that I usually get really dry skin around my neck at this time of year and I have had no issues this year.  Maybe gluten-free is helping this too!

I also had pityriasus rosea many years ago - and that was NOT FUN!   I went in thinking the doc was going to tell me that I had dry skin on my back and send me away.  Instead, she rushed out to get a book to show me that I looked 'just like the picture'.  It was not very comforting :)

I showed my doctor the rash and instantly he backed away with wide eyes with a 'wtf is that' look. Of course, I knew what it was before hand (thanks google!) and was hoping he could offer some suggestions for it to get better but he just told me to suck it up until it runs its course.  I just remember my skin peeling off like a bad burn and the majority of that rash was my inner thighs, right where the inseam of your pants are. It was horrible. I can only imagine what shingles would be like because pityriasis was brutal!

1desperateladysaved Proficient

I had eczema in my late teens and early twenties.  Cortisone cream would take away the itch and help clear it in days.  However, it seemed to come back with a vengence as soon I stopped putting it on the spot!  I learned to go without it.  Mine itched big time and it felt better when I scratched it open.  (Not a recommended procedure)

I had pityriasis when I was just a tyke.

D

june27 Apprentice

the only thing that helped me with the pityriasis was lavendar essential oil.  i would mix it with a base (massage oil from one of the body places - bath and body works, or the body shop - i forget which).  i would apply liberally to my back every morning and evening.  it helped to take the edge of, and i smelled lovely :)

Archived