WestCoastGirl

Gave Up Gluten And Feeling Sick

Rate this topic

Hey, all. I'm not a diagnosed celiac. I've known for a long time just on  how I react that I am sensitive to gluten so even if I'm not a celiac, I know I should not have gluten. But I've been putting off giving it up.

I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis and have been doing a lot of research lately because I've just been going farther and farther downhill. That's a long story all by itself but last week, the day before Thanksgiving, I decided, Why on earth am I torturing myself? There's a known tie-in between Hashi's and gluten intolerance, I am killing myself, I'm stopping the gluten.

Well, I have been feeling progressively more nauseated. :( Is this normal? No one else in my family is sick and I haven't eaten anything "weird". I've had a gluten-substitute food maybe once, it was an Udi's gluten-free bagel, I can't recall having any other actual gluten-free subs. All the rest of my food has been "real food," meat, veggies, and I have been having carbs as always (potatoes, rice) if that makes a difference.

I have had zero cheats. I know my labels (I've been researching this literally for years). Even on Thanksgiving I had no gluten at all. I didn't miss it. I had turkey with no gravy, a cauliflower and cheese dish that I brought (YUM, we love this dish in my family), salad and a heap of mashed potatoes.

I started feeling nauseated yesterday. All day long. I even had some "icky burps" - sorry - but did not throw up. I did have diarrhea. Now today I am totally thrown for a loop. VERY nauseated and I have pretty severe diarrhea.

I'm exhausted as ever so far...

Anyone have any ideas? I just feel so terrible right now...in every way. Exhausted from the Hashi's, and now stomach sick.

A few things come to mind...  How long have you been completely gluten-free?  Often symptoms improve in a short amount of time, but sometimes it takes awhile.  Some have reported symptoms getting worse at first - part of the healing process.

You may also have other food allergies/sensitivities - which is common with Celiac folks.  For example, being sensitive to food in the nightshade family is pretty common - which includes potatoes.

Yeah, my whole family has been sick with a stomach bug in the past 10 days.

It's true that you might get worse before you get better. I'm not a diagnosed Celiac, either, but the first few weeks I was off gluten, I suddenly had a lot of heartburn. I discovered that coconut products don't agree with me. Now, six weeks after going gluten-free, I'm fine.

Good luck to you!

Thanks, everybody.

I think I'll stop nightshades too and see what happens.

It could be the stomach bug. My kids had that about a week and a half ago. I just thought i'd have gotten it by now but who knows...touching a shopping cart, being out in public, etc., I suppose I could have sniffled in something!

I will hang in there. I appreciate the answers. Oh, it has only been a few days that I've been gluten-free.

If you continue to feel poorly after a few weeks, then you might want to look at the thyroid again,  It can be difficult to get it stabilized. 

Good Luck with the diet

Colleen

Also you mentioned you had been eating some cheesy dish- I get horrendous diarrhoea and bloating when I have any Dariry products which are not dairy free-!! And I have also found that after going gluten free for a while, my lactose intolerance got worse... Good luck!

I was also thinking possible dairy problems, but it could be a bug. Last week I was under the weather and concluded it must have been CC aftereffects, but one of my coworkers had the exact same thing, sooo...

Could also be the unfortunate effects of healing, Our guts tend to be fussy for a while. Too much something could have upset it.

In any case, good luck and hope you feel better soon!