Candyd

Differences Of Symptoms Between Celiac Disease And Non-Celiac Sensitivity ?

Rate this topic

Hello ! I've not seen any place where to introduce myself, is there one ?

I would like to know more about differences between celiac disease and non-celiac gluten sensitivity. Are malabsorption, some nutrient deficiencies and megaloblastic anemia symptoms that only celiacs have or is it also common in other types of gluten intolerance ? And are hypothyroidism, type 1 diabetes and chronic pancreatitis correlated only with celiac disease or possibly with non-celiac gluten sensitivity too ? I guess that some of my questions are asked too soon to have answers, but I'm curious to know if some studies have already been done about this.

Nope. No where to introduce yourself - just jump right in.  :)

The symptoms you mentioned are common in those with NCGI (or NCGS) as well as in those with celiac disease. Plus having celiac disease doesn't always mean one has those symptoms. I have had untreated celiac disease since infancy but I have never suffered from celiac related anemia or major nutrient deficiencies (just a few that were low normal). It is not just the villi damage that causes those symptoms, the inflammation can also cause a whole hos of problems and that appears to be present in those with NCGI... as I understand it.

I know that a percentage of diabetics and those with thyroiditis tend to do better gluten-free even though they do not have celiac disease. I am guessing that those are the ones with NCGI. I do not know if those with NCGI are predisposed to developing diabetes or thyroiditis like those with celiac disease, but I wouldn't be surprised... My guess is that in a few more years they will declare NCGI an autoimmune disease on the gluten intolerance spectrum with celiac disease being at one end - just a guess though.

I know that a percentage of diabetics and those with thyroiditis tend to do better gluten-free even though they do not have celiac disease. I am guessing that those are the ones with NCGI. I do not know if those with NCGI are predisposed to developing diabetes or thyroiditis like those with celiac disease, but I wouldn't be surprised... My guess is that in a few more years they will declare NCGI an autoimmune disease on the gluten intolerance spectrum with celiac disease being at one end - just a guess though.

This is my gastroentologist's belief as well. When we were reviewing my (overall) inconclusive tests -- blood yes, endoscopy no -- he indicated he felt celiac and NCGI are parts of the same issue. Of course, he also explained to me before my endoscopy that there are limits to that test as well. The camera can only go so far. I'm curious to see how the medical community comes out on this issue over time.