This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Birthmark Making Its First Appearance In Decades?

1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Okay, so I don't expect anyone else to have noticed something similar, but since I am getting intensely curious here goes

At birth I had a birthmark between my eyebrows; I can see it in the pictures.  It had faded by the time that I was 9 months old.  Recently, I have noticed that the birthmark has appeared on my head!  I went gluten free 20 months ago.  Some where in the last year, my anemia (immature red blood cells) recovered.

I am just curious if others have seen and appearance or disappearance of a birthmark along the way.  My oldest girls had them at birth.  One is still visible and one has disappeared.

D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LauraTX Rising Star

That is quite odd.  I wonder if skin changes with age have anything to do with it?  That could be a stretch, I will throw in I have no idea what your age is (dont kiiiilllll me pleeease :D <3 ).  I have a couple birthmarks, and they all have stayed the same.  I have freckles and multi-freckle spots that REALLY pop out if I get any bit of a sun tan.

I put the question to my physician.  I am not sure if they know why birthmarks generally fade.  I guess I could look into that.  Any other ideas?

bartfull Rising Star

When I was a kid I had quite the strawberry birthmark on my face. A dime-sized spot on my cheek with a twine-thick line that connected to a "puffed rice"-sized spot between my upper lip and my nose. I hated it!

When I was 20, I had to have a wisdom tooth surgically extracted, and the surgeon was also a plastic surgeon who mentioned he could easily remove the birthmark. By then I realized it was part of my identity and I told him "No way!" I had learned to like it.

But it HAS faded over the years. All that is left is the spot on my cheek. It is smaller than it was and barely shows at all. Usually just putting on my foundation hides it. It MAY have become a bit brighter lately. It's funny that you mention it here because just yesterday I seemed to notice that even with make-up on it shows.

Yeah, mine is a strawberry.  My daughter wanted hers to go away at 6, but came to think of it as a rose petal on her head and likes it too.  Maybe now I can match her?

Bartful, do you know how your iron levels are, or were they a problem?

bartfull Rising Star

I don't know, but I think they were OK. With no insurance I couldn't afford testing. As a kid though, my iron levels were really low. I had to take iron supplements for the first ten or so years of my life. That was also when my brithmark was at its brightest.

About 15 years ago when I did have insurance I had a complete physical including blood work and at that time the only thing they considered unusual was that my bad cholesterol was low,my good cholesterol was high,  and that my iron was high. I was eating a lot of red meat at the time.

Archived