tallypop

Swollen Hip, Celiac Or Not? (Any Comments Appreciated)

Rate this topic

I get allot of back pain/hip pain/neck pain, well now my right hip is noticeably swollen, its quite strange and its happened before, I was just wondering if anyone else has had this kind of symptom or if its more and IBD symptom?

I'm still not sure if what's going on is more a result of and IBD or Celiac, or something else my doctors haven't been that helpful, I think the only way Im going to get treated properly is if I get drastically ill and something else flags in my bloodwork...

I really hope its celiac over an IBD

Thanks in advance  

Although a lot of people get joint pain with celiac, hip swelling seems a little extreme to be just caused by untreated celiac disease.  I looked back at your previous posts, have you ever been screened for an autoimmune disease?  In general, if you go gluten free and it makes you feel better go ahead and do so, but there seems to be something else going on.  If I were you I would get a copy of all tests that have been done so far(so no costly repeats) and go to a new doctor. 

It is odd, it's the hip I get more pain in, I believe I have. My white blood cell count came back slightly lower than it should be, and my iron and vit D are much lower than they should be. So I think it's related to my stomach in some way, It's very confusing.

Thanks

I should say that it's not always swollen just flares up every now and then, my wrists and ankles hurt as well, but whenever these symptoms flare my stomach is also problematic. My stomach aching/bloating was the first symptom I had the joint problems followed. It might be worth noting my kneecaps have dislocated a couple of times. No idea if this relates to celiac or not?

Thanks

I actually have both, Ulcerative Colitis and celiac symptoms. Apart from gastric issues, I also get horrendous joint pains in every single joint in the body, including hip pain that is so strong I have to hopple along- I've had it for most of my life and has been called seronegative arthritis caused by some intestinal symptom... Which for year was thought to be my UC. However, I have also been diagnosed with celiac and have been gluten free for a few weeks now. I am still learning on how to stay gluten free... and have been feeling fabulous, even my joints and my UC feels also so much better.. Over the weekend I got CCd twice with food I thought was naturally gluten free- I know now when I have been CCd : first thing, I get a burning sensation in my tummy, gradually I get an all over tummy ache and intermittent pinchy feeling that lasts for several days, but also approx the next day of ingesting gluten I get D wh ch continues for a few days- joints start to ache slowly, continuously increasing until every single joint is on fire....horrendous leg pains in the muscles, brain fog.. A feeling I will never wake up, and so it goes on. I f I am not careful with what I eat further, the symptoms develop into explosive D, bubble bloating and terrible wind- blood and mucus... In sum, the UC flares up and it looks like both things are working together with me, but iam able to distinguish symptoms for both conditions...

I don't know if this is new research but I have read somewhere that individuals with ulcerative colitis are at a higher risk of developing celiac .. Will have a look for the link and get back to you..

(please excuse my shocking English language syntax and spelling...)

Here is the link from the UK NHS-site where it mentions that individuals with type 1 diabetes and Ulcerative are at a higher risk of developing celiac disease, hope this helps?

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Coeliac-disease/Pages/Causes.aspx