Jackie F

Msg-Anyone Else Have Issues

Rate this topic

In the last couple of weeks I have had seasoning packets (one from Ortega and one from Hidden Valley).  Both claim to be gluten-free, however, I have been sick both times.  The only similar ingrediant is the MSG.  I have never had any issues with MSG before, that I know of.  Is this common in Celiac patients?  Has anyone else had problems with this or maybe the Ortega seasoning mix?

Funny thing , I have always had a problem with it! Seems I have learned that MSG is made with corn, or is corn derived. And I am also corn intolerant. Go figure huh?

I saw this in my research travels. :) 

"monosodium glutamate, better known as MSG, is a form of concentrated salt added to foods to enhance the flavor. This salt version of glutamic acid is an amino acid the body can produce on its own, but the MSG we find on store shelves is processed and comes from fermented sugar beets."

http://www.naturalnews.com/034272_MSG_monosodium_glutamate.html#

HOWEVER, Gluten Free Living has this posted:

"MSG

Monosodium glutamate is a flavoring made through the fermentation of corn, sugar beets, or sugar cane. It is gluten-free."

So, yes, a corn intolerance may well give you symptoms if you ingest MSG!

Good detective work.

I had problems with season mixes.  At that time, I was also having problems with other processed foods that didn't contain MSG.  At the time I thought that the only common possibility was trace gluten contamination.  Looking back, I can see that it is possible that I was reacting to MSG.  

This source: http://www.msgtruth.org/avoid.htm

says that foods that commonly contain MSG are chicken, sausage, ranch dressing, parmesan items, gravies and dipping sauces, flavored snack chips, fish sauce, soy sauce, etc.

I didn't ever notice extra problems with these things prior to going gluten-free.  Could my undiagnosed celiac disease been hiding this?

What would be more likely, a trace gluten problem, or a previously unknown MSG sensitivity?

I saw this in my research travels. :) 

"monosodium glutamate, better known as MSG, is a form of concentrated salt added to foods to enhance the flavor. This salt version of glutamic acid is an amino acid the body can produce on its own, but the MSG we find on store shelves is processed and comes from fermented sugar beets."

http://www.naturalnews.com/034272_MSG_monosodium_glutamate.html#

HOWEVER, Gluten Free Living has this posted:

"MSG

Monosodium glutamate is a flavoring made through the fermentation of corn, sugar beets, or sugar cane. It is gluten-free."

So, yes, a corn intolerance may well give you symptoms if you ingest MSG!

Good detective work.

Thanks :) Don't know where i read that! I am going to have to start saving where I learn these things. See if they are good sites :) 

I had problems with season mixes.  At that time, I was also having problems with other processed foods that didn't contain MSG.  At the time I thought that the only common possibility was trace gluten contamination.  Looking back, I can see that it is possible that I was reacting to MSG.  

This source: http://www.msgtruth.org/avoid.htm

says that foods that commonly contain MSG are chicken, sausage, ranch dressing, parmesan items, gravies and dipping sauces, flavored snack chips, fish sauce, soy sauce, etc.

I didn't ever notice extra problems with these things prior to going gluten-free.  Could my undiagnosed celiac disease been hiding this?

What would be more likely, a trace gluten problem, or a previously unknown MSG sensitivity?

Yes I think your un dx'd Celiac could of very well of hidden another intolerance. I do know I was always having a problem with MSG. and Artificial Sweetener ... Come to find out Some Artificial sweetners are made with Corn products. everything started coming together.