sandree

Enterolabs Genetics What Does This Mean?

Rate this topic

Hi,

I was tested in 2006 through Enterolabs and have been gluten free since then. I just recently looked at my results again and realize that I don't really know what this means as far as the genetics. Could someone help me understand? How do I know how many copies I have of the genes? What would this combination of genes suggest about the likelihood of celiac for myself and my siblings? My children are adopted so I don't need to worry about that.

I have not had a biopsy and the blood test was negative at that time. I think I have been in denial that I probably do have celiac and not just gluten intolerance. I am a homeopath and I have had other autoimmune issues and a huge amount of heavy metal detox I have been working on. As those have cleared up, it has become more clear that my remaining symptoms are gluten related. It has become more clear how strongly I react when I am glutened. So I am just trying to figure out the likelihood of this being celiac. I believe it is and that homeopathy will not be able to "cure" it. Though I have found a remedy that seems to help me get through glutening faster. If anyone is interested, I am happy to share.

My results:

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allelle 1, 0201

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allelle 2, 06xx

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ. 2,1 (Subtype 2,6)

Thanks for your help,

Sandy

Hi there!

It looks like you have one copy (you are a heterozygote) of a well researched celiac gene (HLA-DQB1*0201); this is DQ2. Most people with celiac disease have DQ2, however it is also a common genotype in general: 30% of the US population carries it but only 1% of the US population will develop celiac disease. 

You also have one copy of DQ6 (HLA-DQB1*06xx). This gene is also common, but is not considered to be associated with celiac disease. 

Because you are DQ2 heterozygous, either your mom or dad is carrying at least one copy of DQ2 (the other parent would be carrying one copy of DQ6). Therefore, it is possible that your siblings may also carry the DQ2 gene, but I can't say with certainty because I don't know the other half of either of your parent's genotypes. Hopefully this makes sense! Here's a helpful link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HLA-DQB1

You mentioned that you have other autoimmune diseases, which increases the likelihood that you will develop others such as celiac. Do you have a family history of Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Type 1 Diabetes or Celiac disease? These three AI's tend to occur together, or separately but in the same family.

Best wishes,

Ninja :)

Hi Sandy!

While there is no "cure", based on your reaction to the ingestion of gluten you should do everything possible to avoid all sources of gluten and cross-contamination.  There is no part way with living gluten-free if you have Celiac Disease or Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity.

As Ninja replied...you indeed have one copy of DQ2 - that combined with your symptoms and reaction to gluten suggests Celiac Disease is a very real possibility.

If you have been consuming a small amount of gluten consistently -- I strongly suggest you get a another complete celiac antibody panel -- just because it was negative eight years ago, that does not mean it will be negative now - especially with the autoimmune symptoms you mention.  Additionally, if your nutrient levels have not been checked recently those should be added to your request to be sure deficiencies caused by celiac are not the cause of some of your symptoms. Your primary can order all these.

Hang in there :)

Edited to add:  Was Enterolab's Gene Test by blood?  If not, add gene testing to the list to request from your doctor if you want to be sure of the results you give your siblings.

Edited by GottaSki

Thank you, Ninja and Lisa.

I will copy this information. That was very helpful. I am not much of a conventional medicine believer so I think I will stick with my gluten free diet and my homeopathy. I have not been eating enough gluten to have the testing done and I react severely to gluten so eating it for several weeks is not an option.

In homeopathy, we base treatment more on the symptom picture than the medical diagnoses. What I see in my case, is several different causes for my issues, including genetic, emotional and toxin issues. Healing this homeopathically is like peeling an onion. I think I was holding out hope that homeopathy could cure the celiac part of the picture because it is capable of healing an amazing range of issues. But there are limits and genetics is one of them. I believe it can heal something that is caused by a change on the epigenetic level but that it cannot heal something of the inherited genetic type. From what you say and from my reaction to gluten, I am going to assume at this point, that I have celiac disease unless something else strongly indicates that it is gluten intolerance. I am going to continue to be vigilant about the gluten. 

Lisa, I read something else on here about histamine intolerance and weight gain. Maybe that was from you? It helped me a lot. One of the other remaining issues that I have is a very stubborn weight problem. I think this could be a clue to that, so I thank you for that. I think I may have a remedy that I can take to address that, so we will see how that goes. If I can find a remedy instead of a food solution, I would rather do that than limit my diet more...

Thanks so much, Sandy

Currently, there is no cure for celiac disease. There is a very successful treatment - a gluten free diet. Internet " doctors" or other "medical" practitioners that tell you otherwise are just trying to sell you things. Some people may feel better and even tolerate gluten for a short time, but the damage is still being done. There are legitimate research studies on that.

If you don't have celiac - there can be other reasons for the issues with gluten. The histamine issue could be one. FODMAPS could be another. That might be something for you to explore. Please look at the medical research, too. Perhaps combining some medical/ scientific research with your homeopathy would be a benefit to yourself and your patients?