Rate this topic

Does anyone ever feel guilty for other people having to accommodate their food needs?  We're having a party at work and my coworkers are going out of their way to get gluten free food options but I feel so bad that they went through so much trouble to accomodate my needs.  Am I just crazy? Does this get any better with time? 

Does anyone ever feel guilty for other people having to accommodate their food needs?  We're having a party at work and my coworkers are going out of their way to get gluten free food options but I feel so bad that they went through so much trouble to accomodate my needs.  Am I just crazy? Does this get any better with time? 

I haven't been gluten-free/Celiac diagnosed for very long, so I might not be the best person to respond, but I think it's great that your coworkers are so accomodating! I wouldn't feel guilty, I'd feel blessed :) You're lucky to have that, as so many people don't have people who are sensitive to their needs at all. My "best friend" is being extremely dismissive and insensitive to my dietary needs.  

I think a diagnosis like this really puts things into perspective and you know who your true friends/family are.  Again, I think you're lucky. I haven't had one shred of guilt over any of this.  I'd feel guilty maybe if it was a choice - but it's not. You don't have the luxury of deciding to eat gluten one day - your body won't allow it. I imagine the guilt will subside over time - I don't know because I'm not dealing with that, but just keep telling yourself that you didn't choose this life and you're lucky to have people who care.

good luck!

I  think  it is  wonderful  they  consider  your  needs.... just as  long  as they understand  what  gluten is..... and  if  it  truly  bothers  you  just offer  to prepare  you own food   & match it  to what  they  are  having for the party....

I agree! Feel blessed and loved! It's wonderful to feel so supported! My coworkers bring things like pizza and sandwiches and say "OOPS! Should've gotten you something." I just smile.

I agree too that if you're worried about cross contamination that you could just bring some of your own goodies to share and show them how good gluten free can be!

I totally understand how you feel here.  I am normally a very giving person and don't like attention to be on me.  So when people do special things for me, it sometimes makes me feel guilty and uncomfortable.  Just remember they are being genuinely nice and helpful to you, and try to teach yourself to relax and let it happen.

I also really enjoy doing for others and have a bit of hard time when others do things for me. I just try and remind myself that I'm worth it and that what I do for others is coming back around to me that day, sort of like it's my turn.

I have a hard time when people seem to feel bad eating things in front of me. I just tell them it's nothing to me, I'm so used to it, and I'd rather feel good. I never expected anyone to even be aware of what I do or don't eat. It's really touching to see people's concern.

Your co-workers wouldn't bother if they didn't care about you. That's so nice :)