Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

bvolvo

Blood Test Results Are Back - Can You Decipher?

Rate this topic

I received my tests back and I think they are all ok (?).  Any info you have would really be appreciated - I have not spoken to the dr yet - only just received the test results:

Anti Gliadin Ab, IgA MY value: 4 Range: 0 - 19 Units

REFERENCE INTERVAL Gliadin Ab, IgA
19 Units or less Negative
20 - 30 Units Weak Positive
31 Units or greater Positive

TISSUE TRANSGLUTAMINASE IGA MY Value: 6

Range:0 - 19

Anti Gliadin Ab, IgG My Value: 4

Range: 0 - 19

Tissue Transglutaminase IgG  MY Value: 2 Range: 0 - 19

Thank you ever so much!

Those tests look fine to me too.  You should ask your doctor for a few more tests though, or at least one - the total serum IgA.  About 5% of celiacs are deficient in IgA which will result in all IgA based tests (like AGA IgA and tTG IgA) having a false negative. It's an important control test to have done.

The AGA tests you had done are not the most reliable ones out there. If you want further testing, the deaminated gliadin peptides tests (DGP IgA and DGP IgG) are very good tests to add on.

Were you still eating gluten when those tests were done? These tests require 8-12 weeks of eating gluten prior to testing for the best accuracy.

Those tests are all just for celiac disease. If you think gluten is an issue for you, you could have non-celiac gluten intolerance (NCGI) which has all the same symptoms as celiac disease but without the intestinal damage. Unfortunately there are no widely accepted blood test for NCGI right now so the only way to diagnose NCGI is a positive response to the gluten-free diet (over a few months). If you think NCGI could be a possibility I would urge you to try going gluten-free for at least 3 months (6 is better) in order to see if your health improves.

Good luck with the doctor!  :)

I agree with Nicole.  I answered in another thread and asked a couple questions about your symptoms as I wasn't sure what triggered the celiac antibody tests and whether you had removed gluten prior to testing.