Insurgo

Celiac? Desperate For Help!

Rate this topic

Hi all. Should probably start by saying that this isn't regarding me, its for my now ex long term girlfriend.

After her suffering with various symptoms for about 2 years now I am doing a lot of investigation myself as the doctors seem more than happy to try and pump her full of pills for one symptom (depression) but haven't bothered to investigate the underlying cause. Here are some of her symptoms:

Depression

Fatigue

Appetite Loss

Weight Loss (she was always very slim to start with anyway)

Nausea (but very rarely vomiting)

Stomach aches

Excessive wind

Constipation

Fatty stools (Constantly)

Joint Pain

Ringing in ears

Occasional dizziness

Plus probably a load more that I can't think of!

I have paid to carry out some blood tests and have found that she is deficient in B12 after having an active B12 test and the result being 34 pmol/L so I know a few of those are at least partly caused by the B12 deficiency. Have also had her folate and Thyroid levels checked all which were ok. Previous doctor tests in August last year showed that her Iron, Kidneys and Liver are ok (although I don't know what tests exactly were carried out for Kidney and Liver, the doctor was very vague on the phone).

Does this sound likely to be Celiac disease to anybody else?

She has a doctor appointment lined up but due to the doctor being away and her work schedule we are waiting around 2 weeks to see him so in the mean time I have ordered a home Celiac test from here http://www.personaldiagnostics.co.uk/Products/Xeliac_Test_Pro/About_Coeliac_Disease.html. My first question is although the test claims to be as accurate as can be, should these tests be relied on?

Second question is, if she is diagnosed, is there a common time frame for these symptoms to lessen? The depression is one that we would like to know about specifically if anybody has any experience in the field!

Second question is, if she is diagnosed, is there a common time frame for these symptoms to lessen? The depression is one that we would like to know about specifically if anybody has any experience in the field!

There are others here far better able to answer your first question. I can tell you that my depression started to lift within 3 days of eliminating gluten from my diet, if your ex is the same as me it would be one of the first, most noticeable changes, with others following in various time frames.  Hope that's of some help, although bear in mind it seems like everyone is different. Best of luck!

YES! sounds like it can be Celiac.  Insist to the doctor (many are dismissive) that she is tested for Celiac.   Do not get off of 'gluten' until after all testing is done, the nurse told me to eat all the gluten filled foods possible the three days prior to the test.  Blood test.  Colonoscopy/Endoscopy, good luck.  You are a great friend to be helping, inquiring on her behalf.  It is an ENTIRELY NEW WORLD, when going off of gluten.  Brain fog lifts!  Energy you NEVER knew you never had comes, it is wonderful if this is actually her issue.  I hope her health issues are resolved. 

YES! sounds like it can be Celiac.  Insist to the doctor (many are dismissive) that she is tested for Celiac.   Do not get off of 'gluten' until after all testing is done, the nurse told me to eat all the gluten filled foods possible the three days prior to the test.  Blood test.  Colonoscopy/Endoscopy, good luck.  You are a great friend to be helping, inquiring on her behalf.  It is an ENTIRELY NEW WORLD, when going off of gluten.  Brain fog lifts!  Energy you NEVER knew you never had comes, it is wonderful if this is actually her issue.  I hope her health issues are resolved.

3 days of eating gluten is probably not enough.

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/what-is-a-gluten-challenge

"Antibodies take time to build into the blood stream before they can be detected through blood analysis. For a gluten challenge we recommend eating 1/2 slice of bread or a cracker each day for the duration of the challenge.

Prior to blood testing we recommend 12 weeks of eating gluten.

Prior to an endoscopic biopsy we recommend 2 weeks of eating gluten."

3 days of eating gluten is probably not enough.

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/what-is-a-gluten-challenge

"Antibodies take time to build into the blood stream before they can be detected through blood analysis. For a gluten challenge we recommend eating 1/2 slice of bread or a cracker each day for the duration of the challenge.

Prior to blood testing we recommend 12 weeks of eating gluten.

Prior to an endoscopic biopsy we recommend 2 weeks of eating gluten."

This is true.  3 days is not enough, but I had spent my 36 years eating gluten, no idea I had Celiac.  I was told to eat lots of gluten before my test, + the prior 36 years.  I have been gluten free since 2009.  I really like YOUR answer better than Mine.  Thank you.