JodyM75

Did I Get The *right* Bloodwork? Ena Abs

Rate this topic

I had an EGD the beginning of April (my third) to check out my existing hiatal hernia and test me for Barrett's.  I basically talked the GI doc into doing a biopsy for celiac to, basically, rule it out.  Ha.  The test came back positive for "mild celiac," their words.

SO, I went to my primary doc and chatted and requested bloodwork.  I got the results back and I'm not sure I got the right thing.  The sheet says ENA Abs and had the following listed, all came back negative:

Anti RNP

Anti Ro

Anti SM

Anti La

Help?  There are no numbers listed.  I was still eating a gluten diet when these were taken, but I have been gluten free for a month.  I am guessing I'm a Silent Celiac, because I have no idea what symptoms I have.  Yet.....??

I have an appt with my GI tomorrow morning, and I'd like to know a bit more about what this is.  I am still in the process of doing internet searches, but would love to hear from the Celiac Brain Trust, because you guys are awesome.

I don't think those are Celiac blood tests.  Did you go to an MD?

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/medical-professionals/guide/diagnosis

I'm laughing right now at your question "Did you go to an MD?"  I'm laughing in a good way!!!  The person I saw was a PA and, yes, I don't think she knew much about celiac.  I'm so frustrated with my PCP right now and am really thinking of switching (for many reasons).  The bloods tests she sent me for cost me nearly $600 and I don't think they told me a d$&m thing. 

I found this about ENA Abs:  http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/ena-panel/tab/glance/ which says it is for autoimmune disorders.  Another site specifies connective tissue problems.  But I think you are right, I don't think they are celiac tests. 

Hm, I wonder what I'm negative for??  :D

I asked about the MD because so many people go to Chiropracters/naturalpaths. They have their own agenda and test that they get referral fees for, etc that have no scientific basis.

I had those tests run on me when we were looking into lupus.... It looks like you are negative for lupus anyways. ;)

For celiac disease, you need tTG IgA and IgG, DGP IgA and IgG, EMA IgA, total serum IgA, and possibly the older AGA IgA and IgG tests.

Oh, interesting about the Chiro/naturopath.  Yes, I went to my MD/PA's office.  Again, very frustrated...not just because of the celiac stuff, either.

Awesome, no Lupus! 

I should have done my homework better and not trusted a schooled professional to be able to do their job.  Ahem.  :rolleyes: