Lisalee1211

Biopsy Done - Don't Understand Report

Rate this topic

I had my biopsy yesterday -- the doctor said he didn't see anything we would have to wait for the biopsy results-

Reading my report. Trying to understand

Duodenum - mucosa normal mucosa was noted in the whole examined duodenum.

Rule out celiac sprue given positive serology. Multiple biopsies were preformed for histology.

Stomach mucosa diffuse continuous erythema of the mucosa with no bleeding was noted in the fundusand stomach body. These findings are compatible with gastropathy. Multiple biopsies were preformed.

Anyone understand any of this??

The stomach findings worry me. Not sure what the celaic notes mean.

Lisa-

I hope your biopsy results give you a clear answer. I can't tell you much about the preliminary findings but since you had positive blood work even if the biopsy results are negative you need to give the diet a good strict go and you can start now. Your body may give you the answer before you even get the results back. Damage can be patchy and get missed on the biopsy. Positive blood work trumps a negative biopsy and with positive bloods you almost certainly need the diet. 

I hope your biopsy results give you a clear answer. I can't tell you much about the preliminary findings but since you had positive blood work even if the biopsy results are negative you need to give the diet a good strict go and you can start now. Your body may give you the answer before you even get the results back. Damage can be patchy and get missed on the biopsy. Positive blood work trumps a negative biopsy and with positive bloods you almost certainly need the diet.

Thanks so much!!!

I completely agree with Ravenwoodglass. Start the diet now and in a few days you'll probably get agreement form the biopsy. Most celiac damage does need to be sen with a microscope, there are very few around here who had damage that was visible to the naked eye.

Agree with the others. Let us know when you get your results! And good luck starting the new diet. Hoping you feel better before you know it!

Thank you all for the support. I'm going to get all the grocery shopping done tomorrow and start eating gluten-free. I Can't wait to get it out of my body!!!