Rate this topic

Hi everyone,

My 11 year old was tested and sent to a GI Dr. for screening b/c she's having a lot of nausea and diarrhea.  Her Celiac blood test was negative, however he's calling it inconclusive b/c I have a 6 year old with Celiac.  He isn't sure if she eats enough gluten for it to be + because we eat most meals gluten-free.  He is having us to a stool test.  (If it's not Celiac we need to figure out what is going on).  Depending on what this test shows she may have the biopsy regardless.

My question is - what will the stool test show, what are they looking for if it IS Celiac?  (Inflamation, etc?)  How much gluten do you have to eat for the + blood test?  I know it's one slice of whole wheat bread a day but how does that translate IRL?  Like some days she's all gluten-free, some days she's gluten-free except a few Pita Chips with lunch, and other days she will have a slice of real cake at a party or pizza.  But it's not CONSISTANT every single day......some times it's gluten for 3 days and gluten-free for 3 days, sometimes it's gluten-free all week except her 4 pita chips each day at lunch KWIM?  Is this enough?  Or most likely, he's just not sure, thus the stool test before an invasive biopsy, LOL!

Anyone diagnosed this route with a negative blood test but they actually had it when they went in there?  Tell me your story!  She has so much diarrhea she even wakes up at night with it most nights!

:-)

What kind of tests are they doing on her stool?  She could be having stool cultures to check for infections ( stool pathogens) or they could look for viruses ( Rotavirus), or they could also check a stool leukocytes which would be present in infection and inflammation or C-diff another bacteria that causes the big D.

People might not respond if you don't know what tests are being run.

Thanks guys!  I didn't ask WHAT tests they were running on the stool.  I just assumed that was the test!   They were also checking for H.Pylori I know.  Maybe I misunderstood but he seemed to insinuate that if the stool came back a certain way it might justify doing the biopsy on her.  Maybe I assumed it was for Celiac but it was for something else?

Ok, I'll ask again later when I get the results and know what tests they did on it!

Just to update this - we got the results and she actually has C. Diff.  Well, that is weird!!  I'm glad it's not Celiac like my other daughter but how strange!  He said she probably got it during a course of antibiotics from strep.  So yeah, now we have this to deal with.  Poor kid!