Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Rate this topic

Since malabsorption is such a huge problem for us, is there a suppliment cocktail available to help replenish our deficiencies?

Maybe one complete product?

I have been looking but many of the gluten free suppliments contain other allergens among other problems.

I would love some help on this.

I was prescribed a regular multivitamin and B-12.  I got the multiitamin at Sam's club in a huge bottle, gluten-free, for $12 or so.  The B-12 is prescription via my pharmacy.  All of my numbers were in the normal range, but some were at the low end of normal so they want me taking these.  I'm not very good about remembering to take them because I have to take them 4+ hours after taking my thyroid medication...

Hi Kingman and Welcome.

You should have testing for deficencies before any supplimentation.  There are many Celiacs that do not have these problems.  Taking a daily multi-vitamin is not a problem.

Colleen

Ditto Colleen. I am an odd celiac who is high in Ca and B12. My only low vitamin was A and D was a low normal, but I blame that on being Canadian.  ;)

Get your nutrient levels tested.  Good ones to check are Cu, Ca, Mg, K, Fe, ferritin, B12, zinc, D, A and... I'm forgetting something. Hmm.

If you do need to supplement, sublingual or liquid vitamins are a good way to go.  Sometimes vitamin shots are needed if the vits don't help (I've had A shots before).

Best wishes.

I had low D, B, folic acid for sure. Those were tested.

You should go with your Doctor's recommendation on how much to supplement.  Levels are different for different people.

Colleen

A good celiac doctor will test and advise their newly diagnosed patients. If you don't have one of these, then only supplement those you know to be low. Be sure to get retested at six months and a year to monitor improvement. As you heal you will absorb more nutrients ... Eventually you should be able to get sufficient nutrients from your food.

Took about a year and a half for my deficiencies to improve...but all my nutrients have remained in the upper normal range since then....without supplementation.

Edited....18 months I had improved numbers but they weren't great until 2.5 years which is when I stopped supplementing everything except calcium. Eventually stopped calcium supplement for other reasons...will return to calcium supplementation at some point.

Edited by GottaSki

I had low D, B, folic acid for sure. Those were tested.

but, which B?

B-12, B6? B1? B3? B5? B7?...... because there are eight  B vitamins, including Folate which is B9.

Country Life makes certified G F vitamins. 

depending on how low your levels were, a good Multi B complex, 2000Ius of D3 and  some folic acid should do it however,

you will need to be retested in 3 months to see if the levels come up.

Unless you are talking about B-12, in which case, the doctor who ran the test should tell you what form and what amount

you should take. 

But again, this depends on what your levels were. 

I had to supplement folic acid, B-12, D and a few others, but once they came up (it took a few months) , my doctor told me to stop and to get my nutrients and vitamins from food. My last panels --levels are great.