BarryC

Thyroid Issues?

Rate this topic

As I understand, gluten attacks the thyroid gland, reducing metabolism. Has anyone felt that their metabolism picked improved after being gluten free. Can the thyroid even heal itself, like the liver can?

Also, I believe the pancreas is affected, reducing digestive enzyme output. Maybe it just the absence of gluten, but my digestion has improved after three months of being gluten free.

No, gluten does not attack your thyroid. Thyroiditis is another autoimmune disorder like celiac disease. You can have one or both. You can many autoimmune disorders. Everyone is different.

Celiac disease has many symptoms, but not all get the same symptoms. The same goes for thyroid disease. I ran hypo but never had hair loss or gained weight. I did have fatigue and an enlarged thyroid. I ran hyper and felt muscle weakness but never lost weight.

Glad to hear that you are improving!

Your best bet for a sluggish metabolism is eating a normal amounts of protein, healthy fats, some fruit and grains, and lots of vegetables. Hungry? Eat more veggies!

Hashi's is just another autoimmune disease when your body picks some part to attck.  Celiac attacks the intestines.  I had another AI disease that attacked my blood.  If you have an AI disease, you are more likely to get another. I think that is mainly the extent of the relationship, although some people do notice an improvemnet with their thyroid symptoms after going gluten-free  - probably because inflammation has gone down.