This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bloating

christa

christa Contributor
:( I am always sooo bloated. I have been on the gluten-free diet for 2 weeks now and I find I am still getting bloated. Not as badly as when I eat gluten but still very uncomfortable. Is this because I am still healing or could it be something else altogether. I only eat chicken and vegetables and I avoid nightshades and that is all I ate the past two weeks with the exceptin of a plain pork chop. HELP!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rusla Enthusiast
:( I am always sooo bloated.  I have been on the gluten-free diet for 2 weeks now and I find I am still getting bloated.  Not as badly as when I eat gluten but still very uncomfortable.  Is this because I am still healing or could it be something else altogether.  I only eat chicken and vegetables and I avoid nightshades and that is all I ate the past two weeks with the exceptin of a plain pork chop. HELP!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Could you have accidently come in to contact with gluten?

aikiducky Apprentice

Two weeks is just simply too soon. Give it more time before you despair! :)

Pauliina

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I agree. 2 weeks is not that long at all...give it some time. :)

Jenn2005 Contributor

My husband is still bloating & he is on his 4th week now. He did the diet for 7 weeks and his doctor put him back on a regular diet & now he is back on the gluten free diet for about 4 weeks. He did just recently find out he is casein intolerant & we've been trying to get that all eliminated - I think that was a lot of his problem after the gluten was gone.

Jennifer

Lisa Mentor

I am three months into the diet and I am now just beginning to feel bloated. I am alternating between D and C. I think the high carbo diet, rice, potatoes etc. is leaving no room for fiber. Metimucil (sp) in caplets is gluten-free, so I have started on that.

I have also noticed that there is bright blood in my stools when constipated, the past two days. I think that my intestines are so used to fluid stools that it is hard to deal with the other - parden the pun. I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT I AM WRITING THIS TO EVERY ONE IN THE WORLD - 9,000 PEOPLE).

Ok....Too Much Information I think that I need to change my pen name. I'm embarassing myself. :unsure:

Oh well, may be input may help someone else.

christa Contributor
My husband is still bloating & he is on his 4th week now.  He did the diet for 7 weeks and his doctor put him back on a regular diet & now he is back on the gluten free diet for about 4 weeks.  He did just recently find out he is casein intolerant & we've been trying to get that all eliminated - I think that was a lot of his problem after the gluten was gone.

Jennifer

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think I may have the same problem. No butter tomorrow

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

paw Apprentice
I am three months into the diet and I am now just beginning to feel bloated.  I am alternating between D and C.  I think the high carbo diet, rice, potatoes etc. is leaving no room for fiber.  Metimucil (sp) in caplets is gluten-free, so I have started on that.

I have also noticed that there is bright blood in my stools when constipated, the past two days.  I think that my intestines are so used to fluid stools that it is hard to deal with the other - parden the pun.  I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT I AM WRITING THIS TO EVERY ONE IN THE WORLD - 9,000 PEOPLE). 

Ok....Too Much Information  I think that I need to change my pen name.  I'm embarassing myself.  :unsure:

Oh well, may be input may help someone else.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lisa, red blood is a condition that you need to let your doctor know about. I hope you feel better soon. Around here it is pretty NORMAL to talk about bowel habits, as odd as it would be anywhere else.

PicturePerfect Explorer

Lately, I have been bloating a lot. I have no idea what is causing it. The only time that I could have been glutened is what I have right before the bloating starts. But, food can't digest that quickly, can it?

Lisa

Lisa Mentor

The red blood that I mentioned is surely hermroid issues. I am not concerned about that. For months I have been dealing with the big D and now being gluten-free for almost four months my "discharge" has changed (I don't know how to put it although it is harden and not easily passed as not has been the facter for six months) and it is expected that the bowls have made a drastic change.

My colonoscopy showed no concern.

PLease note that there are two Lisa's on this post.

About the blouting. About four o'clock in the afternoon, I start feeling the blouting comming on. I then take a Zantac 75, or really feeling blouted at Zantac l50. I need to be home when I take them, at least for now. When I am constipated, it usually helps...I guess it moves the gas around and moves the other to proceed to where it needs to go.

Darn (not my choice of words), I hate to be to personally graphic.

I hope that this little bit is not TMI for your husband. I feel it is for me.

PS. I tried Medimucil (sp) and it was too much fiber for me with a compromised system as of now. Lots of bathroom trips and could not differentiate between gluttened and Metimucil.

Hope that this will be helpful.

Lisa B.

laurelfla Enthusiast

i think the bloating does take a while to get rid of, also i just simultaneously cut down on dairy and started drinking and taking Lactaid. there is another thread on casein intolerance vs. lactose intolerance that might be interesting to you.

best of luck! i know how it feels to look pregant and it is not fun!

Bonnie Explorer

My bloating, which was really bad, only went away after 6 months of being gluten free. The culprit was rice and any other starchy food. Found out I have an intolerance to rice.

I will still get a bit bloated if I eat too much at one time or have too much chocolate. However the bloating is nowhere near as bad as it was. Only look 3 months pregnant instead of 6. :lol:

I would suggest avoiding starches and eating small meals for a few days and see if that helps.

Be patient - I know its hard - but things will get better. It just takes time.

Yvonne

ravenwoodglass Mentor
My bloating, which was really bad, only went away after 6 months of being gluten free.  The culprit was rice and any other starchy food.  Found out I have an intolerance to rice.

I would suggest avoiding starches and eating small meals for a few days and see if that helps.

Be patient - I know its hard - but things will get better.  It just takes time.

Yvonne

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had a similar experience to Bonnie, except for the chocolate, (thank goodness!) I cut drastically down on my rice consumption and my bloat and my DH have gotten a lot of relief. I still have a sandwich or something once in a while but I was eating rice at almost every meal, something I had never done prediagnosis. You may want to try limiting rice and see if it helps. Also if you drink carbonated beverages (soda pop) you may want to go to non-carbonated that also may help.

Archived