Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jamie101

Pre-Bloodwork?

Hello all,

I have been to the drs since my last post questioning if I had celiac disease or not & my dr felt that a Celiac panel was more than necessary, as he agrees my symptoms are that of the disease. Anyway, he instructed that I go gluten-free even before the bloodwork he wants me to go for - doesn't this defeat the purpose? I have followed his orders as he is my dr but now thinking about it, I was under the impression you were supposed to continue consuming gluten prior to testing..I don't know. BUT, this was 2 days ago, and I have only been gluten-free for 2 days with my blood test being today. Would two days make a huge notable difference in test results? 

I already feel 90% better since going gluten-free for the passed two days - I know, it sounds absolutely crazy but my palpitations have already reduced and I was elated at the end of the first day that I hadn't had cramps and didn't need to rush to the bathroom directly (no exaggeration here) after consuming my breakfast. My rash is also disappearing almost immediately. I know this is the root of my problems and I want my results to reflect as such. 

On the flip side, I had already had planned a meal out with a friend before this whole ordeal came to fruition and so I went. Long story short we ate at Whole Foods Market and I had a salad with just tomatoes, grapes, carrots, tofu and turkey pieces with a side of gluten-free dressing (marked gluten-free on packaging). Shortly after I came home my arm itches like crazy, my heart rate is elevated and I had some slight bloating which lasted into the greater part of the night. I didn't think anything I had consumed contained gluten but I didn't ask anyone there (stupidity on my part) and I now know the meat could have been coated with a gluten substance. Great. 

Anyway, my main question is... Does two days of being gluten-free effect the celiac panel blood test? 

Please let me know. Thanks.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

You need to be consuming gluten for the blood work. PLEASE start eating it again. Also if your going to do a biopsy you need to keep eating it UNTILL you have the biopsy done.

Your levels wouldn't have drop significantly (if at all) after just 2 days. 

Good luck and I hope you get some answers soon!

Join eNewsletter

You need to be consuming gluten for the blood work. PLEASE start eating it again. Also if your going to do a biopsy you need to keep eating it UNTILL you have the biopsy done.

Your levels wouldn't have drop significantly (if at all) after just 2 days.

Good luck and I hope you get some answers soon!

Thanks for the valuable input! It's only been two days and like I said, I may have come into contact with gluten yesterday anyway so I'm really not too deep into this diet yet. I'm just confused as to why my dr would suggest this? I guess he is confident that I am intolerant, didn't want to prolong my suffering anymore and figured a few days wouldn't make a drastic difference? Although, he never said anything to me about a biopsy. I guess that comes in later in the game??

Thanks again.

Join eNewsletter

Here is a link to the University of Chicago's celiac website. They are one of the leading celiac disease researchers. They state that you must continue to consume gluten until all testing is complete. Usually, an endoscopy is ordered (several biopsies taken) to confirm diagnosis.

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/CDCFactSheets3_Antibody.pdf

Perhaps you can print and share with your doctor?

Personally, I barely had a positive blood test but my biopsies showed severe intestinal villi damage. So, an endoscopy is important.

I hope you feel better soon!

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Here is a link to the University of Chicago's celiac website. They are one of the leading celiac disease researchers. They state that you must continue to consume gluten until all testing is complete. Usually, an endoscopy is ordered (several biopsies taken) to confirm diagnosis.

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/CDCFactSheets3_Antibody.pdf

Perhaps you can print and share with your doctor?

Personally, I barely had a positive blood test but my biopsies showed severe intestinal villi damage. So, an endoscopy is important.

I hope you feel better soon!

Thanks so much - many of the things you have provided me have been both helpful & informative. Luckily I am getting my blood test only two days following my tentative diagnosis but I will be sure to bring this to my dr's attention. I can't imagine why he would have failed to know this.

Quick question: is an intenstinal/GI biopsy the next step after bloodwork following the diagnosing protocol? Or do I have to ask for one??

Thanks for the well wishes, too!

Join eNewsletter

The gold standard includes biopsies of the intestinal wall. However, some doctors will give a diagnosis based on the blood test and improvement on the gluten free diet. Others can not do the endoscopy due to financial reasons. A blood test alone with a first degree relative with a celiac disease diagnosis would be enough to convince a doctor to make a diagnosis.

My husband went gluten free 13 years ago per the bad advice of his GP and my allergist. He is thriving, but wishes he had a firm diagnosis. When I was diagnosed (anemia was my symptom) I was shocked. What are the odds that we would both have gluten issues. I definitely needed a biopsy to confirm celiac disease. I needed that dx in order for me to be diet compliant.

Hubby refuses to do a challenge. Why bother? He knows (me too) that gluten makes him sick. He also says that I have received more support from family, friends and medical.

You just have to decide what is best for you!

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter