Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Roberto

What Does The Following Mean On A Endoscope Result

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Based on this study on PubMed, it is possible that you could still celiac disease. Did you have a celiac blood panel? How many biopsies were taken during the endoscopy?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15996156

Welcome to the forum!

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Thanks for your comments and welcome. My partner has been diagnosed with Celiacs for sometime and was more than worried with the results. I recall previously that her villi were blunted and short. Would the preserved architecture mean and improvement? There does to be a link between ILs and celiacs but what does minimum patchy increase mean in laymen's terms?

Join eNewsletter

The surface area of the small intestine is about the size of a tennis court. Doctors typically take six to eight wall samples during an endoscopy. A lot could be missed. That is why so many tests (blood, endo/biopsy, gene, diet changes, etc.) are done to help diagnose celiac disease.

Minimum and patchy? Could be just the start of celiac disease. A little damage here.....none over there....that is patchy.

If your partner has celiac disease. and you have been eating gluten light, your blood tests may not be accurate. Could explain the minimal damage to your intestine too.

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Increased ILs indicate inflammation in the gut. In the context of celiac disease, your results sound like "light" damage, or perhaps healing tissue from prior damage.

Do you consume gluten in your diet?

As @cyclinglady says, it's important to look at blood markers to see if you've been having an autoimmune reaction to gluten.

However, increased ILs and VA can also be caused by other things. It's important that you follow up with your gastroenterologist to perform other tests to rule out other diseases and investigate whether you have celiac disease.

33 y/o male

Celiac and proud since 2007 - endoscopy/biopsy

Confirmed HLA genes 2014

Strict gluten-free diet since diagnosis

Post-eating nausea despite diet began Aug 2014

Join eNewsletter

Thanks for all your response - very useful to be a little bit informed when my partner goes back to the GI.

My partner has been on a strict gluten free diet for over 2 years and was diagnosed with Celiacs - these were results in relation to see whether a gluten free diet is working. 

Hopefully when she goes back they can shed a little light aion the results and a way forward.

Thanks again.

Join eNewsletter

Oh I get it now—these are your partner's results, already diagnosed and on gluten-free diet.

If they saw blunted villi earlier, than preserved villous architecture is good news—they are back to normal!

I have just received similar results; they usually call this "disease in histologic remission"; ie. your partner is healing.

But your GI will know best ;)

33 y/o male

Celiac and proud since 2007 - endoscopy/biopsy

Confirmed HLA genes 2014

Strict gluten-free diet since diagnosis

Post-eating nausea despite diet began Aug 2014

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter