Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GFAnnie

"pure Grain Alcohol?"

I have a bottle of elderberry syrup for my celiac kids (supposed to help boost immune system because they're catching EVERYTHING this winter!) and I noticed that it contains "Pure grain alcohol."  I'm so confused about alcohols and what is and is not okay.  Because it is "pure" grain alcohol, does that make it gluten free and safe? I'd love to start giving this to them, but the point is to make them better not worse!
Thank you!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Distilled alcohol should be safe. Not sure what exactly you are talking about? I wouldn't give children grain alcohol or elderberry alcohol?

An explanation:

https://www.celiac.com/articles/21886/1/Distilled-Spirits-Grain-Alcohols-and-Vinegar-Are-they-Gluten-Free/Page1.html

Join eNewsletter

If you are concerned you could call the maker and ask what grain from which the alcohol is derived. It could be corn based.  I would be very cautious giving this to a child.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

There is a product called Epicor... we have been taking this for several years to help keep us free of the colds, flu, virus that floats around in this planet. With kids in school they pick up everything & carry it home to share with the family....We have not had the flu .virus since beginning this product several years ago....It is a lifesaver for us....

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter