Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Daniel_BH

My Mother Has Been Diagnosed With Celiac And Diverticulosis

Rate this topic

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and would love to hear any feedback / experiences from you. My mother has recently been diagnosed with Celiac and Diverticulosis. She is on a strict gluten free diet. I have her on high quality food based multivitamins, Omega 3's, Tumeric (Anti Inflammatory) Probiotics, Aloe Vera juice, and a blend of digestive enzymes. We need to make her body more alkaline and we have been doing that through juicing dark green leafy vegetables. She is very concerned and scared at the same time. She needs to know what other foods and recipes she can make that will help with both conditions. I would love to hear your comments/advice on what she can do to make each day manageable and pain free. Thank you very much I appreciate it! 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and would love to hear any feedback / experiences from you. My mother has recently been diagnosed with Celiac and Diverticulosis. She is on a strict gluten free diet. I have her on high quality food based multivitamins, Omega 3's, Tumeric (Anti Inflammatory) Probiotics, Aloe Vera juice, and a blend of digestive enzymes. We need to make her body more alkaline and we have been doing that through juicing dark green leafy vegetables. She is very concerned and scared at the same time. She needs to know what other foods and recipes she can make that will help with both conditions. I would love to hear your comments/advice on what she can do to make each day manageable and pain free. Thank you very much I appreciate it! 

I am not sure what foods trigger diverticulosis but I am sure there is a list on Mayo's website?  What did the doctor say?

As for the Celiac diet - she doesn't not need to go nuts with juicing and alternative diets.  Have her read the newbie thread for some basics.  she could look at the dinner thread and see what others are eating.

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/75238-the-whats-for-dinner-tonight-chat/

Check out the University of Chicago's celiac website. It has some great information. And.....all first-degree relatives should get tested even withou symptoms (some of us have no symptoms at all). Get tested!

Looks like diverticulosis does not require any special diet or treatment?

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/diverticulosisanddiverticulitis.html

In addition the diverticuli may resolve after a time gluten-free. I had extensive diverticuli throughout my entire large intestine before my celiac diagnosis. GI said he had never seen anything like it. When I had a follow up colonoscopy 5 years after diagnosis they were almost all gone. 

Make sure you check those food based supplements as some will be labeled gluten free but contain barley or wheat grass. You don't want those. 

You've probably done this already but make sure everything that needs to be replaced in the kitchen is replaced so she doesn't get contamination! Toaster, anything plastic/wooden, etc. I hope your mom starts to feel better in the near future. It takes a long time in many cases so encourage her to come here if she has questions or just wants to talk to others that are going through or have been through it. Listen to cyclinglady, too, get tested! Just to be safe!