Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stsonic

Preparing For Blood Test

Hello

My Dr think I have IBS and want's to test me for Celiac disease. I have been off Gluten and dairy as it was making my symptoms much worse. I also started to take a laxative in the evening which has helped me a lot.

He  wants me to start eating gluten again to prepare for the test which I was a bit apprehensive about as I don't want my symptoms to worsen again. I was just wondering is it okay to carry on taking the laxative or could it mask the test?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

The laxative should have no effect on your test results.  You can keep taking it if it is needed.

The only things that could affect your results, and cause a false negative, is a gluten-free diet or steroids.  Make sure you are eating about one slice of bread per day in the 2-3 months before the blood tests.

Good luck and welcome to the board.  :)

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

Thanks nvsmom that is a relief as I really don't want to go back to how I was a few weeks a go before I started to take it. I have been of gluten for about 3-4 weeks. My test is next Friday is next Friday so I will make sure to eat plently of bread and barley before then.

Join eNewsletter

If you can push back your blood test by a week or two, you can be more sure of an accurate test.  Chances are the it will be fine, but in some people, and in some of the tests, auto-antibodies return to normal quickly (mainly the deaminated gliadin tests).

Good luck.  :)

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter