Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jcan91

Does Edema Mean Celiac Disease?

As many of you can probably relate, I've been to multiple doctors about what I now know is certainly a gluten allergy (I can pretty much eat it and watch myself swell up), but my question now is whether what I have is a gluten allergy or Celiac Disease.  The doctors still refuse to believe me so here I am.

My sensitivity has considerably worsened these past few months, and whenever I consume any gluten, the biggest reaction I have is that I get really bad pitting edema in my feet and ankles.  Even my calves get thicker if it's really bad.  Since edema is generally caused by a lack of protein absorption (and I regularly consume a ton of protein), does this mean that I definitely have Celiac or can it still be just a sensitivity?

If it is Celiac Disease, are there any additional precautions I should be taking?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

You should get tested for Celiac before going gluten free.

There really isn't a "gluten allergy" You could be allergic to wheat.

What do the doctors say when they see your extremely swollen legs? It could be something serious.

Join eNewsletter

I've already been gluten free for a few years now, except for the occasional mistakes.  The doctors have tested me for pretty much everything else under the sun re the swollen legs.  Got tested for venous insufficiency, rheumatoid arthritis, got my kidneys and heart tested.  I think I even got tested for lupus at some point.  I've kept food logs so I know it's gluten-related, but again, the doctors I have in school haven't listened to me when I tried to tell them all this.

Join eNewsletter

If you are not up for a gluten challenge to get a celiac disease blood panel (1 to 2 slices of bread daily for 8 to 12 weeks), then you really need to make sure you avoid your gluten mistakes! You can never cheat. Read the Newbie 101 section for tips about cross contamination, shampoos, etc.

You should have had some relief after being gluten free for several years. Why are you consuming so much protein? Perhaps you should work with a dietician.

I wish you well.

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Thanks for the tip about the newbie blog!  I'll be sure to check that out.  I'm definitely a far cry reaction-wise from where I used to be and I've been learning a lot about the cross-contamination thing the hard way unfortunately.  As for the protein consumption, honestly it's mostly because I crave it a lot, not for any other particular reason.  

I haven't had an entire slice of bread in at least two years.  I don't think my stomach could take it, but I'll be sure to at least check out that blog post to reduce the cross-contamination stuff.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17-m):

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Denise 13
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):