This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is This Blood Test Sufficient?

tpchan85

tpchan85 Rookie

My brother suffers from celiac disease. I have suffered from lots of celiac symptoms for a long time, mostly bowel issues. Anyway, I got down to my local doctor who did some blood tests, they found some deficiencies (B12, folate), but the TTG IgA blood test came back negative (was on gluten at the time) so they said I can't possibly be celiac. I went gluten free anyway and felt quite a bit better. Anyway, I pushed them for a while and got a biopsy sorted and did the gluten challenge for 6 weeks they took 4 samples which came back negative for celiac but I'm not totally totally convinced. I want to have a full blood panel done to be absolutely certain, but here in the UK the NHS won't offer me anything but the TTG IGA so I have been searching for private hospitals that offer celiac panels.

The only one I have come across so far is Array 3 here Open Original Shared Link. I notice though it doesn't test Serum IGA or EMA, would this blood test be sufficient to say for certain whether I'm celiac or not? It's quite expensive so I want to be totally sure! Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nvsmom Community Regular

There is a chance that you still have celiac disease because the sensitivity of the tTG IgA is somewhere between 75% and 95%, which means it can miss 5-25% of all celiacs.  We have more than a few board members who had a negative tTG IgA yet had other positive blood tests or a positive biopsy. It does happen sometimes, although it is not the norm.

The full celiac disease panel includes:

• tTG IgA and tTG IgG (tissue transglutaminase) - most common tests
  • DGP IgA and DGP IgG (deaminated gliadin peptides) - newer tests often best at detecting early celiac disease
  • EMA IgA (endomysial antibodies) - similar to the tTG IgA but detects damage as it becomes more advanced
  • total serum IgA - a control test to detect IgA deficiency which can cause false negatives in IgA based  celiac tests (ex. tTG IgA)
  • AGA IgA and AGA IgG (anti-gliadin antibodies) - older and less reliable tests that were largely replaced by the DGP tests

About 1 in 20 celiacs are deficient in IgA.  Was your total serum IgA tested?  You need to make sure you are not low in IgA or your IgA based test (tTG IgA) is meaningless.

I think the most useful tests for you would be the tTG IgG, DGP IgA and DGP IgG.  The EMA IgA is very similar to the tTG IgA and is rarely positive if the tTG IgA is not.  The AGA tests can miss many people but if you cant get the DGP tests, they might be good to get.

Pages 8 to 13 of this report discusses all the tests for celiac disease: Open Original Shared Link

The cyrex labs don't appear to use the above tests so I doubt their usefulness in getting you a diagnosis.  They won't tell you if you have celiac disease, and you already know that you are gluten sensitive... it could be a waste of money.

It is best if 6 or more samples are taken during a biopsy.  4 is the bare minimum and is sometimes not enough to detect damage in a celiac.  If the biopsy is not done right (not enough samples or samples not taken from the best locations) the sensitivity of the biopsy can fall to 80%, so 1 in 5 celiacs could be missed.... Do you have your biopsy report?  The people around here might be able to help you with it.  If there is Marsh 1 damage, you may be slipping into early celiac disease .

It is possible that you have non-celiac gluten sensitivity (NCGS), but since you have a sibling with celiac disease and have symptoms, I think you may be correct in suspecting celiac disease.  :(

Best wishes.

tpchan85 Rookie

Thanks for your help!

I've spoken to a local private hospital and they are offering:

- TTG IGA + EMA IGA + Total IGA

- AGA IGA / IGG

- Genetic testing

Would this be a good course of action or should I try and find more comprehensive testing? Also if TTG IGA is normal and total IGA is normal, does that mean celiac is impossible?

MsLindz Newbie

Thanks for your help!

- AGA IGA / IGG

- Genetic testing

Would this be a good course of action or should I try and find more comprehensive testing? Also if TTG IGA is normal and total IGA is normal, does that mean celiac is impossible?

These would all be helpful testing, particularly the Total IGA and genetic testing. If you have the genes, it's much more likely that you could develop celiac disease. If the Total IGA test result is low, you would know that the other IGA tests will not be accurate for you.

As for the AGA test... I'm not sure how accurate or useful it would be.Open Original Shared Link:

Historically, a test for anti-gliadin antibody (AGA) was used in the evaluation of celiac disease. The 2013 American College of Gastroenterology guidelines recommend against this test for the primary detection of celiac disease due to concerns with its accuracy. It is inferior to the tests for anti-tTG and anti-DPG and should no longer be part of routine testing for celiac disease. The American Gastroenterology Association makes similar recommendations.
nvsmom Community Regular

Thanks for your help!

- AGA IGA / IGG

- Genetic testing

The AGA IgA / IgG are older tests.  They aren't the best.  They will catch some celiacs but they can have a pretty high rate of false negatives.  The newer DGP tests are much better if you can get them.

Some celiacs' tTG IgA tests are negative.  Most will have a positive result but some don't - one of our moderators only had a positive DGP test.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

TT24
    Newest Member
    TT24
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Fluka66
      Thank you again for your reply and comments which I have read carefully as I appreciate any input at this stage. I'm tending to listen to what my body wants me to do, having been in agony for many years any respite has been welcome and avoiding all wheat and lactose has thankfully brought this.  When in pain before I was seen by a number of gynacologists as I had 22 fibroids and had an operation 13 years ago to shrink them . However the pain remained and intensified to the point over the years where I began passing out. I was in and out of a&e during covid when waiting rooms where empty. My present diet is the only thing that's given me any hope for the future. As I say I had never heard of celiac disease before starting so I guess had this not come up in a conversation I would just have carried on. It was the swollen lymph node that sent me to a boots pharmacist who immediately sent me to a&e where a Dr asked questions prescribed antibiotics and then back to my GP. I'm now waiting for my hospital appointment . Hope this answers your question. I found out more about the disease because I googled something I wouldn't normally do, it did shed light on the disease but I also read some things that this disease can do. On good days I actually hope I haven't got this but on further investigation my mother's side of the family all Celtic have had various problems 're stomach pain my poor grandmother cried in pain as did her sister whilst two of her brother's survived WW2 but died from ulcers put down to stress of fighting.  Wishing you well with your recovery.  Many thanks  
    • knitty kitty
      Welcome to the forum, @Nacina, What supplements is your son taking?
    • knitty kitty
      @BluegrassCeliac, I'm agreeing.  It's a good thing taking magnesium. And B vitamins. Magnesium and Thiamine work together.  If you supplement the B vitamins which include Thiamine, but don't have sufficient magnesium, Thiamine won't work well.  If you take Magnesium, but not Thiamine, magnesium won't work as well by itself. Hydrochlorothiazide HCTZ is a sulfonamide drug, a sulfa drug.  So are proton pump inhibitors PPIs, and SSRIs. High dose Thiamine is used to resolve cytokine storms.  High dose Thiamine was used in patients having cytokine storms in Covid infections.  Magnesium supplementation also improves cytokine storms, and was also used during Covid. How's your Vitamin D? References: Thiamine and magnesium deficiencies: keys to disease https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25542071/ Hiding in Plain Sight: Modern Thiamine Deficiency https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8533683/ The Effect of a High-Dose Vitamin B Multivitamin Supplement on the Relationship between Brain Metabolism and Blood Biomarkers of Oxidative Stress: A Randomized Control Trial https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6316433/ High‐dose Vitamin B6 supplementation reduces anxiety and strengthens visual surround suppression https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9787829/ Repurposing Treatment of Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome for Th-17 Cell Immune Storm Syndrome and Neurological Symptoms in COVID-19: Thiamine Efficacy and Safety, In-Vitro Evidence and Pharmacokinetic Profile https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33737877/ Higher Intake of Dietary Magnesium Is Inversely Associated With COVID-19 Severity and Symptoms in Hospitalized Patients: A Cross-Sectional Study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9132593/ Magnesium and Vitamin D Deficiency as a Potential Cause of Immune Dysfunction, Cytokine Storm and Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation in covid-19 patients https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7861592/ Sulfonamide Hypersensitivity https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31495421/
    • BluegrassCeliac
      Hi,   Not saying Thiamine (B1) couldn't be an issue as well, but Mg was definitely the cause of my problems. It's the only thing that worked. I supplemented with B vitamins, but that didn't change anything, in fact they made me sick. Mg stopped all my muscle pain (HCTZ) within a few months and fixed all the intestinal problems HCTZ caused as well. Mom has an allergy to some sulfa drugs (IgG Celiac too), but I don't think I've ever taken them. Mg boosted my energy as well. It solved a lot of problems. I take 1000mg MgO a day with no problems. I boost absorption with Vitamin D. Some people can't take MgO,  like mom, she takes Mg Glycinate. It's one of those things that someone has try and find the right form for themselves. Everyone's different. Mg deficiency can cause anxiety and is a treatment for it. A pharmacist gave me a list of drugs years ago that cause Mg deficiency: PPIs, H2 bockers, HCTZ, some beta blockers (metoprolol which I've taken -- horrible side effects), some anti-anxiety meds too were on it. I posted because I saw he was an IgG celiac. He's the first one I've seen in 20 years, other than my family. We're rare. All the celiacs I've met are IgA. Finding healthcare is a nightmare. Just trying to help. B  
    • Scott Adams
      It sounds like you've been through a lot with your son's health journey, and it's understandable that you're seeking answers and solutions. Given the complexity of his symptoms and medical history, it might be beneficial to explore a few avenues: Encourage your son to keep a detailed journal of his symptoms, including when they occur, their severity, any triggers or patterns, and how they impact his daily life. This information can be valuable during medical consultations and may help identify correlations or trends. Consider seeking opinions from specialized medical centers or academic hospitals that have multidisciplinary teams specializing in gastrointestinal disorders, especially those related to Celiac disease and Eosinophilic Esophagitis (EOE). These centers often have experts who deal with complex cases and can offer a comprehensive evaluation. Since you've already explored alternative medicine with a nutrition response doctor and a gut detox diet, you may want to consider consulting a functional medicine practitioner. They take a holistic approach to health, looking at underlying causes and imbalances that may contribute to symptoms. Given his low vitamin D levels and other nutritional markers, a thorough nutritional assessment by a registered dietitian or nutritionist specializing in gastrointestinal health could provide insights into any deficiencies or dietary adjustments that might help alleviate symptoms. In addition to routine tests, consider asking about more specialized tests that may not be part of standard screenings. These could include comprehensive stool analyses, food intolerance testing, allergy panels, or advanced imaging studies to assess gut health.