Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ThisGalsGlutenFree

Advice For Family's Screening Tests

I need some advice...I was diagnosed with celiac disease last year, and because it's hereditary, I've been pushing my parents and my brother to be screened as well. I know that having the genes for celiac does not automatically mean that you have active disease, but I also know that a person could have active disease without even knowing it (silent celiac disease). Have I misunderstood?

No one in my family has symptoms (that I'm aware of), so when they call their GP or GI doctor to ask about screening, they're either told 1) the doctor will want to know their symptoms and will order tests if appropriate, or 2) just adopt a gluten-free diet if you think you have celiac disease. I insist they keep calling other doctors until they talk with an office who knows that just having a first-degree relative means they have a higher risk and should be screened. Am I wrong?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

No, you have not misunderstood! 

Maybe have them read the University of Chicago's celiac website link and have them print it off to share with their doctors.  Here's the link:

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/CDCFactSheets4_Genetic.pdf

I do think there might be an issue with insurance if there are not any traditional symptoms (i.e. diarrhea, abdominal pain, vomiting, etc.).  I'm pretty sure my doctor added to my list of symptoms on my chart even though anemia was my only symptom at the time of diagnosis.  Most likely, he learned that insurance may not cover unless symptoms support the testing criteria.  Glad he did!  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter