Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sweetzucchini

I Own A Glutened, Gluten Free Bread Machine. Should I Replace?

I received the Zojirushi BB-PAC20 Home Bakery Virtuoso for Christmas this past year. I asked for it because I thought I could make gluten-free bread occasionally for friends with Celiac's. This was before I knew anything about cross-contamination, so I've been baking regular bread in it for the past 6 months. Now that I have to go gluten-free I'm not sure what to do... it's $300 so I can't afford to chuck it, but the bread bin is definitely scratched. If I bought a replacement bin ($100 ugh) and cleaned out the rest of it really well, would it be ok to use??

What about my Kitchen Aid Mixer 600 series pro mixer?? I've mixed tons of gluteney stuff in it but it's all stainless steel. Is it cleanable??

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'm really picky about my diet, but I have continued to use my kitcheaid with its stainless steel Bowl. I got rid of my bread machine but I had a cheaper one. I would think Though that with a very scrupulous cleaning and a brand new bread bin, that it would be okay, as long as the dough hook is part of the bin replacement

Join eNewsletter

I have never had a bread machine so don't know what different parts are. As a general rule if it is plastic and scratched it needs to be replaced (the bowl or whatever the scratched part is). If something is stainless steel as good cleaning and run in the dishwasher asnd it will be safe.

Join eNewsletter

i had a good one, too, and i hung on to it (didn't use it, just didn't want to give it away.....  denial, lolz ) for, oh, 2 years then finally got rid of it :(  i had watched it pouf flour all over the inside of it while it mixed the bread.  i'm sure there was flour dust that was inside the thing that you couldn't clean, but could potentially pouf back out.  broke my heart, but i was too afraid to use it, anyway........  wah.....

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter