Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Jae

Newly Diagnosed - Please Help!

Rate this topic

Hi,

I was informed yesterday after a biopsy and blood tests that I have been suffering with coeliac disease for a number of years and the villi in my intestine is pretty damaged.....

I have today not eaten anything gluten AT ALL yet I am more bloated and lethargic than I have been in a long time (my coeliac symptoms are mostly vitamin dificiencies...

Is it usual to have this reaction when you first convert to Gluten free or could I have a intolerence to something in the Gluten free products?

many thanks for your help

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I think 1 day is a little soon to worry about other intolerances.   :D

It an take months for the intestines to heal and then the deficiencies to get better.

Sometimes, when someone goes gluten-free, they eat differently.  Maybe more fiber.  Maybe less fiber.  Maybe more sugar., etc.  

Read the newbie thread for some basic info & give it some time

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/

Join eNewsletter

I think 1 day is a little soon to worry about other intolerances.   :D

It an take months for the intestines to heal and then the deficiencies to get better.

Sometimes, when someone goes gluten-free, they eat differently.  Maybe more fiber.  Maybe less fiber.  Maybe more sugar., etc.  

Read the newbie thread for some basic info & give it some time

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/

Thank you so much for your reply... I just assumed I wouldnt feel like this after cutting out Gluten, I will just be patient and give it time..

thanks again :)

Join eNewsletter

Hi,

I was informed yesterday after a biopsy and blood tests that I have been suffering with coeliac disease for a number of years and the villi in my intestine is pretty damaged.....

I have today not eaten anything gluten AT ALL yet I am more bloated and lethargic than I have been in a long time (my coeliac symptoms are mostly vitamin dificiencies...

Is it usual to have this reaction when you first convert to Gluten free or could I have a intolerence to something in the Gluten free products?

many thanks for your help

Hi,

It took a few months for my body to settle down after giving up gluten and wheat.  It won't be an overnight miracle; think of all the damage that the gluten has done to your body over time, so it may take a while before you start to feel anywhere near 'normal'.  I found that my body went into detox mode after giving up gluten and wheat, and that can take its time to resolve itself.  

We are all different though, so bear this in mind.  I was also like you, I was malnourished after all the years of not absorbing vitamins and minerals.  My ferritin levels were rock bottom and I was so weak, I had to walk with the aid of a stick.  Don't be too disheartened, you are just starting out, the good thing is, you've had your condition diagnosed, now give your body a little time to heal. :)

Under active thyroid; diabetic; hiatus hernia; acid reflux; dairy intolerant; arthritis; sciatica due to spine degeneration; diagnosed with coeliac disease November 2011; fibromyalgia; allergic to Thyme & MSG and alcohol. Allergic to TCP antiseptic, and plasters. Taking medication for severe muscle spasms in upper back.

Despite all, remaining positive!

Join eNewsletter

I agree. It can take months to get better.  My blood tests were still abnormal (slightly) at a year gluten-free, and I didn't feel better until 2 years gluten-free, although there were large improvements during that time.

Plus, many people experience a withdrawal when they go gluten-free. Headaches, fatigue, stomach issues can all get worse before they get better.  Remember that if things take a temporary turn for the worse.

Good luck and welcome to the boards.  :)

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

It can take years to get better, some people dont recover. B12 shots will fix most of your curent problems within hours of the first shot. Theres a chance youve developed further immune system disease but hopefully not. Youll have to find your own way with foods but my tip is more fats, less carbs.

Join eNewsletter