Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Dsa

Gluten Free / Anxiety / Medicine Absorbtion

Rate this topic

Hi all,

This is my first post here - great forum!

I was diagnosed with celiac disease last year June and have been on a strict diet ever since. However since about a month after my diagnosis and diet change I have experienced am onset of ocd and anxiety. I am on topamax and lamictal for unclarified migraine / epileptic type symptoms (not seizures) and have been for a few years :

Is it possible that since going gluten free the medicine is absorbed differently (I.e more purely?)

Could this diet have affected my thyriod function?

Has anyone else experienced this ? I find doctors don't know much about this stuff.

Thanks all,

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi all,

This is my first post here - great forum!

I was diagnosed with celiac disease last year June and have been on a strict diet ever since. However since about a month after my diagnosis and diet change I have experienced am onset of ocd and anxiety. I am on topamax and lamictal for unclarified migraine / epileptic type symptoms (not seizures) and have been for a few years :

Is it possible that since going gluten free the medicine is absorbed differently (I.e more purely?)

Could this diet have affected my thyriod function?

Has anyone else experienced this ? I find doctors don't know much about this stuff.

Thanks all,

You could be absorbing the medications better because the part of you that absorbs many medications (the small intestines) is now healed.  

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/have-any-studies-been-done-on-the-absorption-or-non-absorption-of-medications-in-persons-with-celiac-disease

"Have any studies been done on the absorption or non-absorption of medications in persons with celiac disease?

Yes, they have been done in the past. We know that in untreated celiacs many drugs are poorly and unpredictably absorbed, but after beginning a gluten-free diet all should return to normal quickly."

Join eNewsletter

Being a celiac can affect your odds of having autoimmune thyroiditis. If you have experiencing symptoms (hypo or hyper) you should get a complete thyroid panel (including antibodies against the thyroid).

I had to reduce my thyroid hormone replacement dosage as my intestines healed.

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter