Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):



Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):


0
Jenny0409

Autoimmunity and TTG

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

So recently I had a really high positive on the TTG IGA leading my doctor to believe I have Celiac. For a host of reasons, for the time being, I'm not going through with the endoscopy. I have been completely gluten free from day I got my results. I have no intention of going back on gluten. I had a previous diagnosis of Graves Disease(Hyperthyroidism) last year and in December had my thyroid completely removed. The doctor tested for Celiac because of my ongoing symptoms such as intense muscle spasm/cramps, bone pain, low calcium, low Vitamin D, the list goes on. Anyway, in conjunction with the Celiac panel he decided to have me to an ACTH. I learned that test is for Addisions and other Adrenal issues. My questions is, could the presence of Addisions cause a false positive on the TTG IGA? I feel sure I have Celiac but I'm not sure about Addision. Are they often found together? If so, that would put me at a grand total of 3 autoimmune disorders. Is that common?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join eNewsletter


Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):


I doubt it too. 95% of the time a positive ttG IgA is caused by celiac disease. The other 5% of the time, a weak positive is caused by hashimoto's, liver disease, diabetes, crohn's, colitis, or a serious infection.  I would say you probably have celiac disease.  :(


Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join eNewsletter

Yeah... :(  Usually false positive are pretty weak.

I have celiac disease, Hashi's, and ITP (and I still suspect MCTD or something similar).  My ttG IgA took over a year to get back into normal, and then it was still a high normal for another year. My Hashi's might have kept it up a bit, and even now it is about a 5 out of 14 - still not super low.

You'll find many of us have multiple issues that slows recovery somewhat.  You're in good company.  ;)


Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join eNewsletter

The scale for my TTG IgA test was 0-3 negative, 4-10 weak positive, and above 10 positive. I was a 16. Guess that is pretty positive lol The denial is something I didn't expect. I know it's stupid to feel like maybe I don't have it when all signs point to a big fat yes. I know intellectually that I have to stay Gluten free and I'm doing very well on the gluten-free diet if I do say so myself. I slipped once (damn you pumpkin spice lattee) and I paid for it with two days of muscle cramps, bone pain, brain fog, and depression. That was enough to keep me away from that poison forever let me tell you. I though I was home free at first because the symptoms didn't hit until the next day. They were so evident that even my husband noticed the dramatic shift in my physical state and attitude.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join eNewsletter

Yep, that's pretty positive. Five times above normal.  ;)

Ah yes, evil pumpkin spice latte....Well, on the bright side, it is often easier to stay away from risky cc situations when the symptoms are obvious.  I think it can be tough to stay gluten-free when you don't feel this disease.  KWIM?

Hang in there.  You'll have the hang of this diet before Xmas rolls around.  Hopefully you'll be really noticing improvements by then too.  :)


Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join eNewsletter

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

0


Join eNewsletter