Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Sanders

Testing for kids

Rate this topic

My blood work came back pointing to Celiac (some of you helped me understand the labs, thank you!), and am now looking at getting my 2 children tested (age 18 months and 13 years). My 13 year old has had what I think are hives on her back for several months, and has had what was diagnosed as Keratosis Pilaris on her arms and face for years. I'm wondering this:

1) Should I get the gene testing done for them and nothing further at this point? Or should I maybe get the celiac panel done for the 13 year old, since she's getting hives?

2) Has anyone had luck getting insurance to cover the gene testing for family members without a formal biopsy diagnosis? I am still debating getting that done for myself. If i can get my doctor to diagnose me without the biopsy, should that count? I'm heavily leaning towards putting my whole family on a gluten free diet, but I would like to make sure they get the diagnosis they need for future issues that might come up at school. 

Thanks!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

This is definitely not my area of expertise, but I am speaking as a mom.  

If you are diagnosed as having celiac disease, you should get your 13 year old tested.  All first-degree relatives should be tested. Here is a link to the University of Chicago's celiac website (a leading celiac disease researcher):  

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/living-with-celiac/guide/screening

The little one?  They can be much harder to diagnose.  I would talk to a Ped GI who is knowledgeable about celiac disease in toddlers.  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

This is definitely not my area of expertise, but I am speaking as a mom.  

If you are diagnosed as having celiac disease, you should get your 13 year old tested.  All first-degree relatives should be tested. Here is a link to the University of Chicago's celiac website (a leading celiac disease researcher):  

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/living-with-celiac/guide/screening

The little one?  They can be much harder to diagnose.  I would talk to a Ped GI who is knowledgeable about celiac disease in toddlers.  

thank you! I'm bringing my 13 year old in to the doc tomorrow for her hives and to push for testing. If I have issues getting what I need, I'll go to a GI. 

Join eNewsletter

Our PCP (GP) did not blink an eye when I requested testing for my daughter (she had negative results).  Bring along a copy of the U of Chicago's testing requirements for first-degree relatives if you think your doctor will resist.  

Good Luck!  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter