Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cityelle

Finally Got Genetic Testing Results

Hello to all! I've been reading the forum for years. Here is a little bit about me. In 2008, I begin to vomit EVERYDAY. The BMs were ruthless. The vomiting lasted for months. When it finally stopped I had a BM probably around once per month is I was lucky. Fastforwarding, in 2011 I finally went to the Dr. I told him I think I'm allergic to fiber. He says "maybe it's gluten." After googling the term, I finally stop eating it. At least I thought I did (hidden gluten.) I've been 100% gluten-free with minor incidents of being glutened here and there. When I have gluten in my system it's not gas, bloating, or constant trips to the restroom. It's a nightmare. I speak 6 to 8 hours USING the toilet, my hair falls out ( we're talking old man bald spots and receeding hairline - not sexy for a chick), I get itchy, my body gets pins and needles, + a bunch of other things.

Well, at the top of the year, I finally got the CELIAC DISEASE COMPREHENSIVE REFLEX PANEL 

Component Standard Range Your Value
IMMUNOGLOBULIN A 81 - 463 mg/dL  (MINE =105)  
TISSUE TRANSGLUTAMINASE AB, IGA <4 U/mL (MINE = 1)  
Value Interpretation
<4 Antibody Not Detected
> or = 4 Antibody Detected

My genetic tests (HLA) came in this morning, but I don't think I'm reading it right. That or may I'm in denial because I can not eat a crumb anything containing gluten without getting sick for MONTHS.

INTERPRETATION   see note
The patient does not have the HLA-DQ variants
associated with celiac disease.
More than 97% of celiac patients carry either
HLA-DQ2(DQA1*05/DQB1*02) or HLA-DQ8(DQA1*03/DQB1*0302)
or both. Genetic counseling as needed.
HLA-DQ2(DQAX05/DQB1X02) - Negative    
HLA-DQ8(DQA*03/DQB1*0302) - Negative    
HLA-DQA1 - 01    
HLA-DQA1 - 01     
HLA-DQB1 - 0602    
HLA-DQB1 - 0603    

BTW, I have autoimmune problems (hyperthyroid) and a lot of systematic inflammation (like lupus but no dx). It's so much going on with me including allergies + mood intolerances. Yet, ALL of my blood tests came back negative. If I didn't have documented proof of how sick I get, I would probably  be locked up for a mental evaluation. 

Any leads or suggestions?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

That is the  "normal" way of getting diagnosed for Celiac when you are eating gluten.

All the Celiac genes are not identified yet.  (They were asking for volunteers for genetic testing a few years back.  It could have been 11 years ago by now. )

If you have figured out eating gluten makes you sick, just don't eat it.  If you need a label, you are gluten intolerant.

Michigan

From my research, the genetic test is given to help rule out and NOT diagnosis celiac disease.   It is thought that some 30% of the population carries the standard celiac genes just a few go n to develop celiac disease.   Not having those genes is a good sign you might never develop celiac.  There are some rare people who have different genes but still end up having celiac disease.  Why?  Science has not caught up yet and those genes have not been identified or studied enough.  That is why a genetic test is only used to help rule out celiac disease.

Were you consuming gluten for 8 to 12 weeks daily prior to the TTG test?   If not, the result is invalid.  Unfortunately, you have to be consuming gluten for the celiac tests to work.  You could be like me.  My TTG tests are always negative.  I test postive only to the DGP iga test.  My biopsies revealed intestinal damage.  You did not have the complete celiac blood panel.  

If you have been gluten free and are seeing improvement, you might just continue on without a diagnosis.

I wish you well!  Welcome to the forum.   

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test (DGP IgA only) and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Repeat endoscopy/Biopsies: Healed

12 hours ago, mommida said:

That is the  "normal" way of getting diagnosed for Celiac when you are eating gluten.

All the Celiac genes are not identified yet.  (They were asking for volunteers for genetic testing a few years back.  It could have been 11 years ago by now. )

If you have figured out eating gluten makes you sick, just don't eat it.  If you need a label, you are gluten intolerant.

Hi Mommida. Thank you for the info.

You are double DQ6, which is more a gluten sensitivity gene

We have had at least two celiacs with DQ6 here

your Ttg-IgA was negative
DGP was not run I think, nor EMA

gluten-free since may 06 after neg. biopsy symptoms went away and DH symptoms which I had since 03 got gradually better.

daughter officially diagnosed celiac and casein intolerant.

non-DQ2 or DQ8. Maybe DQ1? Updated: Yes, double DQ5

Hypothyroid since 2000, thyroxine first started to work well 06 on a low-carb and gluten-free diet

Lost 20 kg after going gluten-free and weighing 53 kg now. neg. biopsy for DH. Found out afterwards from this forum that it should have been taken during an outbreak but it was taken two weeks after. vitaminD was 57 nmol/l in may08)

My genetic test result from Prometheus labs was very puzzling.  The doctors office did not give me the results, but informed me I was negative for the Celiac genes.  (12 years ago)  Now I really questioned this because my daughter's result was positive for 2 Celiac genes DQ2 and DQ8.  I wanted the test done over again, because they couldn't even tell me if I was genetic match to my daughter. I paid a lot of money that was not covered by insurance.

Prometheus labs said NO WAY they would do it over again.  They prompted stated I was part of the known 2% off tests that would not test positive for the gene, genes mutate, and that every lab blood test has at least 30% human error factor.

This is from what is considered to be one of the best genetic testing labs of the world.  As they are used for testing Egyptian mummies and other such historical documentations worldwide.

Genetic testing is only so far along and now there are more discoveries of chimeras.  That is when one living being is formed by DNA of separate beings.  Think of it as fraternal twin demise with the other surviving twin absorbing the body of the "lost" twin.  If you care to look into this further...  a recent article Unborn uncle fathered man's child or a documentary "I am my own twin".

Michigan