Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Yazzoo

No reactions, help? Soy?

Rate this topic

So I've posted on here before that I have no symptoms and docs discovered I may have celiac disease from a blood test performed for another reason entirely. I've since had a biopsy and had the celiac disease diagnosis confirmed, whilst I present no immediate symptoms apparently the biopsy showed 'significant damage' so no more gluten for me. I've been reading labels on everything like a maniac trying to ensure I don't cause any further long term damage. I had heard that many coeliacs also cannot eat soy or soya, is this true? I don't present any symptoms if I do eat it, but then I don't for celiac disease so don't want to be causing damage on the inside!

Help!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I have never been able to eat soybeans to tofu, but have no problem with things that contain soy.  I went years with no gluten reactions and they have come back 100 fold. It is fairly easy to avoid soy so if you have any doubt, just drop it from your diet.

Cara

Join eNewsletter

Gluten will cause damage; soy will not unless you have an allergy to it, and then you will have allergy symptoms.  If you aren't experiencing symptoms, I would think you do not have an allergy to soy.  Soy won't cause you any damage, but if you're sensitive to it during the healing process, it will make you feel sick. While you are healing, different foods may upset your stomach.  For example, I couldn't eat raw fruits or veggies for awhile, but have no problems two years out.  Remember, an allergy is different than having celiac.  

Join eNewsletter