Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Rate this topic

So a week ago I went in for fasting blood work and asked to be tested for celiac as I have many symptoms. Results came back with iron deficiency, low vitamin D, inflammation, and weak positive for celiac. I am being referred to a gastroenterologist and rheumatologist but may take awhile before I get in and I'm tired if these symptoms..... but the real reason I'm here is to ask "WHERE DO I START!!!" I don't know where to start with how to eat!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

49 minutes ago, frieze said:

don't change eating habits till testing is done.

I second this. You MUST be eating wheat for testing & that includes an endoscopy. Do not let up on the gluten eating, do not think you can stop now & then eat some a few days before the testing.

Also, do you have copies of your celiac blood panel? Can you post them here along with their reference ranges? You may not have had the full, current panel. AND a positive is a positive. Just because it's a weak positive does not negate the fact it is a positive.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Reynaud's October 2018

Rheumatoid Arthritis October 2018

Join eNewsletter

Yeah, it stinks that you have to stay on gluten until all testing is done, but remember, the end is in sight.

While you're waiting, go to the coping section here on the forums and pinned to the top you will see a thread called, "Newbie 101". Read that thread. Make sure you click on all of the links provided. Take notes. (Seriously, we remember things better if we write them down.)

You will also have time to clean your kitchen. If you live alone you can now get rid of all the gluten in your kitchen except for one small section where you will keep the poison, I mean gluten foods, that you have to keep eating for a while. If you have a shared household, you can set up a section for your own foods, find a way to mark your own foods and condiments, and purchase the new things you'll need, such as a toaster, new pots and pans, etc.

And remember, the light at the end of your tunnel is NOT a train, it is clear blue sky. Soon you will be basking in it. And in the meantime, you can come here for answers and support. (((((HUGS)))))

gluten-free since June, 2011

It took 3 !/2 years but my intolerances to corn, soy, and everything else (except gluten) are gone!

Life is good!

Join eNewsletter

Well said Barty!

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Reynaud's October 2018

Rheumatoid Arthritis October 2018

Join eNewsletter