Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Asherin

Can Celiacs be misdiagnosed with something else?

Rate this topic

All of a sudden in the last two months I started out with horrible hives, then got more symptoms like migraines, stomach pain, bloating and constipation, even being tired constantly to the point where I feel drugged. I'm getting tons of sleep, and still feel sick. My provider ruled out any chance of being a virus, and tested my for allergies. She is stating that I have IBS and that the migraines are separate. I've hardly ever had headaches and it came on when everything else happened. The longer is goes the worse it gets. I've even fasted to see what happens and I feel better after several days of not eating. I will eat fruits like apples, and feel fine. When I introduce things like bread hours later I cramp up and get a horrible headache and my skin feels like its on fire. Is this seriously IBS because I know you don't get hives like that with that. I'm frantic to find out. Help!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

IBS is not a diagnosis. The word "syndrome" means, "a group of symptoms", and that's all it is.

You need to get tested for celiac. The symptoms you describe could all be celiac symptoms. There are over 300 possible symptoms! If your doctor won't do the testing, see a different doctor.

And it is vitally important that you continue eating gluten until all testing is completed. Someone will be along soon to list all of the tests that you need to have. In the meantime you can go to the University of Chicago celiac site and read more.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!:)

gluten-free since June, 2011

It took 3 !/2 years but my intolerances to corn, soy, and everything else (except gluten) are gone!

Life is good!

Join eNewsletter

OK, if you read this thread you will see that CyclingLady, with credit to NVSmom, has listed all of the tests you need. Some folks only show positive on one test, but they do indeed have celiac. That's why it's so important to get ALL of these tests done.

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/113610-after-positive-gene-test-what-bloodwork-to-order/#comment-955175

gluten-free since June, 2011

It took 3 !/2 years but my intolerances to corn, soy, and everything else (except gluten) are gone!

Life is good!

Join eNewsletter