Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Amina82

Question about cross contamination.

Rate this topic

I'm still fairly new to this gluten free lifestyle. I realize times I thought I was gluten free , really wasn't. I'm the only person in my house who is gluten free. My three kids and husband are not. I'm starting to feel like I'm being glutened often.  Can using the same pantry, pots and oven cause me to injest gluten? The other day i made my kids biscuits, I felt dizzy as they were baking in the oven. . I recently found out a seaseasoning I used a lot of contained gluten. 

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

If those biscuits were popped out of a tube, they should not bother you, but making them from scratch (is there any other way? ?) can gluten you.  Flour can stay in the air and when you breath it in, you swallow it.   The only baking I do is gluten free.  

If your oven is not clean, bits and pieces can drop into your gluten-free food.  gluten-free should be covered in a shared oven.  Pots and pans?  Stainless can be shared, but not anything with a coating or cast iron due to scratches which could contain gluten.  

Here is a link about the topic.  Not much research has been done, but I think many would agree that baking with gluten is out for a celiac even if you do not eat the final product!  

http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/Coping_with_Celiac_Disease/f/Inhaling-Airborne-Gluten.htm

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Thanks so much ...they were popped out of a tube but burnt a bit and the smoke bothered me. I think I'm freaked out after realizing a product I was using contained gluten. . The only time I felt 100% was living at my mom's who is Celiac and doesn't have a trace of gluten in her house. I'm thinking about transitioning my family to gluten-free. Really depends what I find out at my GI appointment. I recently found out not only my mom but two first cousins have Celiac with related disorders. Chances are my kids could have it too. Thanks ! 

Join eNewsletter

Me and my husbands have different toasters, and if hes eaten anything w/ gluten I don't kiss him LOL. If I lick a envelope, I have a reaction..Some celiac people say they don't, but I do..I read the labels, and if in doubt call the company. I use a laundry detergent that doesn't contain gluten, toothpaste and shampoo, too.

Join eNewsletter