Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

LaurenThomsxn

Could this be celiac? Symptom help!

Rate this topic

I'm a 17 year old female, and while nobody in my family has been diagnosed with celiac, I feel that I might be suffering from it. Now that I realise it could be an option, I've noticed that my family constantly have stomach and gas issues/pain/toilet issues etc, so we could all be suffering. 

About two months ago my symptoms first started appearing. I was under a lot of stress and anxiety at the time and I am a very anxious person who battles with this so that could have been a factor. My stomach is constantly in discomfort; sometimes stabbing pains, bloating, fullness, uncomfortable in general. This often keeps me up at night in bed. I've also been growing increasingly gassy, especially in the evenings and sometimes my stomach gurgles so loudly. My lower back is often sore and painful, as well as my chest which seems to maybe be because of gas. I tried going gluten free for a week but my doctor told me to return for the tests so I didn't really have a chance to see the results. Not sure if worth mentioning but I've also been extremely exhausted all the time, had a bad muscle ache behind my left knee and a few sores around my mouth which have come and gone.

I haven't had D much, but I have had a few bouts. Also no C, but I always feel full like I do have it.

Im on medication for IBS but it isn't working, and I've had general blood tests which were fine. I have a test booked for next week to check if I'm celiac but in the meantime I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience? Thank you.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi - I had very similar symptoms when I was your age, which came on when I was stressed and living abroad.  I just assumed I had a nervous stomach as the symptoms waxed and waned over the years - worsening with stress.  I had never heard of Celiac Disease then - had I heard of it I would have had the tests then. Instead it took almost thirty years to find out - I had to get quite ill before anyone thought to test me for it.  The following article might be of interest. 

https://www.coeliac.org.uk/coeliac-disease/getting-diagnosed/screening-for-coeliac-disease/

Diagnosed by blood test and endoscopy Spring 2013

Adopted a gluten-free diet in May 2013

BRITISH

Join eNewsletter