Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

cassieg82

IGG and IGA low values

Rate this topic

hi my name is Cassie. I got sick last year with the stomach flu and have been having stomach issues since.  Certain things I eat, next day it all comes out. Bad direhha. Any way doctor tested me early this week for celiac disease and put me on a gluten free diet. So I have been on the diet and my stomach feels great. I have bad leg pain though, but I am adjusting well to the diet. I got my lab results back this morning.  She said the test is unremarkable for celiac disease but my IGG and IGA test shows low values. 2 and 6. Which means I have a low immune system. So I was wondering, could this mean that I have a gluten allergy since I don't have celiac disease? I tried to search online to find answers to the values of my blood work, but I couldn't get any answers. I was just wondering if it could be a non celiac gluten sensitivity.

thank you

cassie

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi Cassie!

If you are IgA deficient, then any Iga celiac tests could be invalid.  It would be helpful if you could post your celiac blood test panel results and include the lab ranges as well.  I ask because not all doctors will order the complete panel.  The most common and preferred celiac tests are the TTG IgA and the TTG IgG .  These tests are pretty accurate but do not catch all celiacs.  I happen to always test negative on the TTG tests and I am 1) not IgA deficient, 2)  nor am I a two year old!  Yet I had moderate to severe intestinal damage per my biopsies obtained through an endoscopy.    

I am also a little worried that your doctor may not be celiac savvy.  Doctors are not supposed to recommend a gluten free diet until they are sure they have ruled out celiac disease.  Sounds like your doctor told you to go gluten free even before your blood test came back.  

You could have Non-Celiac Gluten Intolerance, but that is only after ruling out celiac disease.  There is no test for a sensitivity unfortunately at this time.   

I hope you find this helpful!  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

You are right. My doctor put me on a gluten free diet before the lady even came in to take my blood.

This is the only test results I have

Gliadin antibodies iga

value 6

standard range 0-19

units

DGP Ab IgA

19 units or less negative

20-30 units weak positive

31 units or greater positive

Gliadin Antibodies IGG

Value 2

standard 0-19

units

DGP Ab IgA

19 units or less negative

20-30 units weak positive

31 units or greater positive

She told me to stay on the gluten free diet and that was it.  I am thinking about going to another doctor and getting a second opinion and more blood work done.

Join eNewsletter