Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

alison93

Celiac Diagnosis - blood test and biopsy aren't enough?

Rate this topic

I have been dealing with reflux, nausea, and abdominal pain since November 2015. I first had a biopsy of my small intestine which showed no villi damage, but inflammation and lymphocytes. After this I got a tTg IgA blood test, and the level was a 7 (doctor says this is "slightly elevated"). My doctor still doesn't seem convinced that it's celiac disease - is this really not enough evidence? I started a gluten-free diet one week ago and have been feeling a little better so far (definitely don't have abdominal pain after I eat anymore). My doctor has requested more blood tests (gliadin IgA/IgG, endomysial antibodies, and the genetic test for the celiac gene). These tests are costly and will require me to start eating gluten again, so I want to make sure they really are necessary for a diagnosis. What else besides celiac would cause the elevated tTg IgA, even if it is just "slightly"? Anyone have experience with mid-range test results that aren't definitive?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi alison93,

You shouldn't stop eating gluten until all the testing is completed.  The antibodie tests are not going to be as accurate if you do.  You may get false negatives.  It's best to continue eating a regular gluten diet until all tests are done and results confirmed.   Usually the process is blood antibodies first and then an endoscopy.

Welcome to the forum.  You may want to check out the Newbie101 thread that is stickied at the top of the forum for some good introductory information.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."

Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.

Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplant, celery, strawberries, pistachios, and hard work. Have a good day! 🙂 Paul

Join eNewsletter