Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Rate this topic

Hello,

After 17 years of issues, I was told a month ago that I have Crohn's disease.  This did not set well with me and I just feel it in my gut (pun intended) that it is not what I have.  I have bowel issues, abdominal pain, bloating, nausea and vomiting, and joint pain.  In 2014 I had my IGA and Ttg Iga check- it came back a 4.  I was told that was negative and a positive would be over 20.  Now that I am having many more issues, I was tested again- after I was gluten free and on steroids and it was a 0, but now I was told it would be positive it over equal to or over 4.   It was the same lab who did it, so I called and all they would do is refer to me their website with info on the tests.  It says over 4 is a positive.  So could they have made a mistake on the first paper in stating what a positive was?  Has anyone every been given a range of over 20 as positive? All I can find is 4 or over.  Wondering if I really am celiac or actually do have Crohn's. 

thanks for any help you can provide.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Working in a lab , I can tell you that the method of testing could have changed. Therefore the "normal or negative range "could be different . What you need to see is the actual report from the lab who did the initial testing to look at the range and interpretation on that report.  The lab who did mine is positive over 4. So each testing facility can be different.  Hope this helps?

Edited by Bobkat

Join eNewsletter

Bobkat is right.  You have to look at the lab ranges at the time the test was taken as they can change.  Lab ranges vary depending on the lab.  

I would question my doctor as to why they would re-test you for celiac disease knowing that you were on steriods and were gluten free?   You must be consuming gluten daily for a period of 8 to 12 weeks for the celiac blood panel to be accurate.  Even stopping for two weeks, can impact the test (University of Chicago Celiac Website).  

Why did you go gluten free?  You could consider a gluten challenge and get re-tested in 12 weeks.  If you receive any positives on the panel (besides the IGA deficiency control test .....by the way, I assume yours was originally normal....), the next step is biopsies of the small intestine via endoscopy.   Ask for the complete panel and not just the Ttg IgA screening which can be elevated when you have an autoimmune disorder like Crohn's or Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.   

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Both tests were done by the same lab, just 1.5 years apart.  

I quit eating gluten along with soy, corn, and dairy- I am reading the immune recovery system and everything I have researched states that folks with crohn's should not be eating gluten.  With how much better I feel, I really don't want to do a gluten challenge to see if I test positive.  My biopsy showed no villi issues, but did find multiple ulcers and damage in my small intestines.  I was just confused about why the same lab, with the same test, would have different measures.

Join eNewsletter

I think you mis-understood.  Lab ranges can vary from lab to lab.  Lab ranges can also change at the same lab if testing protochol has been changed (new management, ownership, cost reduction, the list is endless.....). 1.5 years?  Many things could have changed within the same lab.  Your  best bet is to compare your test results side by side.  Ask the lab or your doctor for a printout of your lab results.  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Many things could have changed in 1.5 years for the tests.  I think you are on the right track going gluten free as I have found numerous reports gluten free helps for auto-immune illnesses.  You have been feeling better, and a gluten challenge could make you very ill.  I would what for an accidental gluten exposure to see how you feel for further proof.

Michigan

Join eNewsletter