Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Wai Ling

Gluten free in Kaohsiung, Taiwan?

Rate this topic

I'm living in Singapore and currently a College Student. Not an officially diagnosed Celiac but food intolerance tests shows that I'm intolerant to gluten, dairy and many more. Being gluten free in Singapore have not been easy as it's something fairly uncommon in Asia, but some limited choices are still available.

However, I've been contemplating for awhile now whether to participate in a 6-month Exchange program at a University in Kaohsiung, Taiwan. The lack of awareness of multiple food intolerance in Taiwan have been something that I've been worrying about. My friends are going, but food becomes my major concern as I've heard that eating out is cheaper. 

Does anyone have any experiences being gluten free in Taiwan? Appreciate a reply, thanks:)

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

My wife is from Taiwan so I've spent several months there since we've been married. I haven't found it difficult to stay gluten-free in Taiwa, but I have had the help of my wife who speaks both Mandarin and Taiwanese. I did go out a lot by myself and eat street food and was able to just point at what I liked, but I did have a good idea of how things are prepared and had hey basic language card in Chinese.

Scott Adams

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Founder Celiac.com

Join eNewsletter

Thanks admin, glad to hear that:)

Actually I do speak Mandarin and I'd went to Taiwan once for a short vacation. I've realised that lots of food out there in the Night Markets contain soy sauce, thick gravies and flour (fried food), but I did try to order food and make special requests, such as having grilled corn without any sauce on it.

Taiwanese people generally are really friendly so I guess most of them should be quite accommodating:) Perhaps I'm just afraid that people will think that I'm being overly picky over my meals, things that I tend to be anxious about in a new environment! 

If you don't mind, could you share with me some of the common food you'll eat out in Taiwan? Though I'll most probably cook up my own meals:lol:

Join eNewsletter

I am fairly brave about eating out, and we typically bring a bottle of gluten-free soy sauce. Since you speak Mandarin you should not have any issues explaining what you need. Some dishes that seemed to always be safe were Taipei noodles (very thin rice noodles with shrimp, pork, carrots, celery, etc), Jung (rice wrapped in bamboo leaves), fried rice (just order no soy sauce), etc.

Scott Adams

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Founder Celiac.com

Join eNewsletter

20 hours ago, admin said:

I am fairly brave about eating out, and we typically bring a bottle of gluten-free soy sauce. Since you speak Mandarin you should not have any issues explaining what you need. Some dishes that seemed to always be safe were Taipei noodles (very thin rice noodles with shrimp, pork, carrots, celery, etc), Jung (rice wrapped in bamboo leaves), fried rice (just order no soy sauce), etc.

Got it Admin, appreciate the reply!

Join eNewsletter