Rate this topic

Hi there,

I was hoping to get some help interpreting my son's recent blood tests results.  He is 12 years old, and was taken to the doctor because he has been extremely tired over the last few months.  They did a CBC, and screening tests for diabetes, celiac, ferritin, and mono.  The doctor called to tell us that everything was normal except his ferritin stores were slightly low, and she prescribed him an iron supplement, which will hopefully give him some more energy.

However, when I looked the test results up online, I saw that the lab reported his celiac screen to be "borderline" based on the following results.  The lab noted that "HLA typing" could clarify the results, but the doctor didn't mention this. 

TTG IgA Ab:< 0.5 U/mL ( < 15.0 )

Deaminated Gliadin Peptide IgG:< 0.4 U/mL ( < 15.0 )

IgA:2.4 g/L ( 0.7 - 2.3 ) H

Does anyone know what this means?  I don't know if it's relevent, but I'll also post a few other slightly abnormal results that came back.  The ferritin itself was actually reported as being normal, but the doctor said it's much lower on the range of normal than she'd like him to be.

Ferritin:26 ug/L ( 15 - 150 )

MCH:30.6 pg ( 24.0 - 30.0 ) H

WBC:4.1 x10e9/L ( 4.3 - 12.0 ) L

Thank you very much for your thought!!

I have been very tired lately.  My Iga is 100.  My ferretin is 14.  I am a 41 year old female.  I am giving you these numbers just to let you know how far off they can get before even noticing something is wrong.  I wonder if anything else could be causing his fatigue.  Is he in sports?  Is he happy?  My 10 year old son also struggles with fatigue unless he is jumping on the trampoline with his buddy.

5 hours ago, angeloak said:

Hi there,

I was hoping to get some help interpreting my son's recent blood tests results.  He is 12 years old, and was taken to the doctor because he has been extremely tired over the last few months.  They did a CBC, and screening tests for diabetes, celiac, ferritin, and mono.  The doctor called to tell us that everything was normal except his ferritin stores were slightly low, and she prescribed him an iron supplement, which will hopefully give him some more energy.

However, when I looked the test results up online, I saw that the lab reported his celiac screen to be "borderline" based on the following results.  The lab noted that "HLA typing" could clarify the results, but the doctor didn't mention this. 

TTG IgA Ab:< 0.5 U/mL ( < 15.0 )

Deaminated Gliadin Peptide IgG:< 0.4 U/mL ( < 15.0 )

IgA:2.4 g/L ( 0.7 - 2.3 ) H

Does anyone know what this means?  I don't know if it's relevent, but I'll also post a few other slightly abnormal results that came back.  The ferritin itself was actually reported as being normal, but the doctor said it's much lower on the range of normal than she'd like him to be.

Ferritin:26 ug/L ( 15 - 150 )

MCH:30.6 pg ( 24.0 - 30.0 ) H

WBC:4.1 x10e9/L ( 4.3 - 12.0 ) L

Thank you very much for your thought!!

The IgA (deficiency) test is usually run to determine if the TTG IgA or the DGP IgA celiac tests are valid. It does not determine celiac disease.   It is used as a control test in the case of diagnosing celiac disease.  Your son has an elevated IgA which can mean many things like allergies, infection, or an autoimmune disorder.  (Assuming you correctly typed out the lab results).  

http://kidshealth.org/en/parents/test-iga.html

The celiac tests that were run appear to be negative.  The entire celiac panel was not run.  Missing are the DGP IgA, EMA and the TTG IgG.  

The tests given to your son usually catch most celiacs (an endoscopy obtaining biopsies is also needed for a celiac disease diagnosis) but a few are not caught.  You should talk to your doctor if you strongly suspect celiac disease.   I am not a doctor so I can not help you with the other results.