Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter
ccrew99

Iodine test

Rate this topic

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

1 hour ago, ccrew99 said:

I tried the iodine test but couldn't leave it on very long because it itched too much. I left it on maybe 30 minutes lol. Did anyone try it and have the same response??

What's an " iodine test"?  Haven't heard doctors doing that to diagnose DH.

Karen, the iodine test was a test for DH used in the 'olden' days. Iodine would be swabbed onto a spot and then it would be covered with a bandage. If someone had DH the iodined area would break out in lesions.

I don't know how but we do know iodine can activate the antibodies. That is why some of us with DH have to avoid iodine in foods until the antibodies have cleared the dermis.

OP, if you haven't been tested for celiac you should be and if you have active lesions a biopsy done next to a lesion by a DH knowledgable dermatologist may help in diagnosis.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)