This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help! Still Suffering From Hives After 4 Weeks!

Guest kim07

4 weeks of hives, are they Celiac related, Help please?  

1 member has voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest kim07

Hello to all!

My name is Kim 07 from board, I'm really frustrated and scared, and worried, :( . I had a severe case of Hives, (that's what they diagnosed me with), and that's what I believe they are. At first I thought they we're DH, but I really don't think so anymore. I've never had Hives before.

I went to a dermatologist, who doesn't know my history, she diagnosed me with hives. Then, I went to my doctor (brilliant, wonderful, don't know what I'd do without him!)doctor, and he agreed that they we're hives. At the time the hives started, I was taking a prescription drug called Quinine Sulfate for leg cramps that this drug Singulair (for my sinuses), seemed to cause. The Quinine Sulfate, helped get rid of the leg cramps. Right before the outbreak of the Hives, I noticed that I started getting minor leg cramps again, which I never got before, so in the back of my mind I started wondering if the Quinine wasn't helping.

Then one night maybe a day after that, (i accidently ate real soy sauce with a chinese dinner I got from what was suppossed to be a Gluten Free menu), I did notice a change in the taste of the sauce, but not enough to stop eating it. In fact it was so good, I ate the entire dish that night, with the entire cup of soy sauce. I just remember it tasting 'better than usual', but I didn't think about it at the time I was scarfing it!

I woke up the next morning with a horrendous itch that was coming from inside of my thigh. I never felt an itch so intense like this itch. I started scratching it, and ended up using a gift card (credit card), and scraped it against my thigh till it bled. A rash formed, probably from the scraping, no blisters just little dots. I realized at that point that scratching wasn't the answer, it only made it itch more!

That was a saturday, so for all that week-end the itch was all over my body, and little goose-bump size bumps formed everywhere, and they itched miserably! I learned to rub them softly, that it was better to lightly rub them. For whatever reason, my bumps, (which I learned) were hives hated clothes, so I couldn't wear clothes, they felt miserable on my body, so I walked around with my panties on, and this really soft throw, that for some reason didn't bother my skin constantly. My bumps also hated WATER, everytime I had to wash my face, it was horrrible, my neck would get all red and blotchy and break out in goose-bump size hives, and my chest would as well. I didn't take baths, because baths we're purely EVIL to my skin. I only took 2 a week, so I didn't smell, when I took one I just itched like crazy for atleast an hour or so.

Anyway I found out that the Quinine can cause an outbreak of hives. I found this out on my own, so I stopped it immediately, and have been off of it one month.

I was still confused about what caused the incident with the hives so I went to my doctor (the only one who knows about my celiac condition), and he talked to me for about an hour and said he really thought it was the Quinine, and not the Soy.

I ended up taking 2 Prednisone a day for about 2 1/2 to 3 weeks, and 3 zyrtec a day, and 2 zantac a day. That made my life wonderful again, except for some weightgain on the Prednisone. I got off of the Prednisone about one week ago, I was so nervous, but I didn't have any problems.

I thought this was over. It's not.

As soon as I started tapering off of the zytec to 2 a day for about 3 days, and then I tried to go down on the Zantac as well from 2 a day to one a day. So I was taking 2 zrytec (1 AM, 1PM), AND 1 Zantac at night, I started breaking out in hives again. Just a few though.

Last night I noticed a big change for the worse, I went down to one zyrtec at night, and 2 zantac. I started itching again, and my clothes started really bothering me. I started breaking out on my chest and on my arms.

I'm runnning out quickly of my meds. (zyrtec and zantac)

Tomorrow I will be on none.

I've been off of the Quinine for a month now!

Does anybody know if this could be related to my Celiac Disease???? Like a symptom of it???? I have been gluten free for 3 weeks now, but my husband does the cooking, everything in the kitchen that I know of is gluten free, but I could have accidentally ingested something, even though I have tried so hard to be carefull.

If someone is interested and has an opinion, Could my hives be related to my Celiac Disease and gluten. I mean I have been off of this drug now for 4 weeks.

Thanks for listening,

Sorry again for the novel,

Have a good day,

I look forward to any suggestions you can offer...

I'm about to start school, and thought this was behind me, I'm just really sad and depressed now, that the hives haven't gone away, I guess the medicine masked them. :(

kim...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

key Contributor

I too had a few hives this past week after being gluttened. I had them a while back too. Nothing in comparison to what you are talking about. I was curious with mine if it was related to a lotion or something. I don't know though, because I haven't had them recently and I didn't change lotion. I would change all of my laundry detergent, lotions and soaps if I were you. Maybe it is that. I read where basically anything can cause hives, so it can be very hard to locate the problem.

Good luck and hope you get better soon.

monica

Guest kim07
I too had a few hives this past week after being gluttened. I had them a while back too. Nothing in comparison to what you are talking about. I was curious with mine if it was related to a lotion or something. I don't know though, because I haven't had them recently and I didn't change lotion. I would change all of my laundry detergent, lotions and soaps if I were you. Maybe it is that. I read where basically anything can cause hives, so it can be very hard to locate the problem.

Good luck and hope you get better soon.

monica

Hello Monica,

Thanks so much for writing me back!

I'm so glad that your hives problem isn't too bad!!

That is a good idea to double check all my lotions, laundry detergent, etc. I'm usually pretty watchful for hidden gluten sources.

Yes, hives have a mind of their own, they SUCK!!

Well, hopefully, they will stop driving me crazy soon!!

Thanks,

Kim07 :)

happygirl Collaborator

Kim, Unfortunately I don't have any words of wisdom to help you out other than encouragement to keep searching for the root of the problem. And until then, you poor thing, I hope the itching decreases! Keep us updated.

MarybethI Newbie
Hello to all!

My name is Kim 07 from board, I'm really frustrated and scared, and worried, :( . I had a severe case of Hives, (that's what they diagnosed me with), and that's what I believe they are. At first I thought they we're DH, but I really don't think so anymore. I've never had Hives before.

I went to a dermatologist, who doesn't know my history, she diagnosed me with hives. Then, I went to my doctor (brilliant, wonderful, don't know what I'd do without him!)doctor, and he agreed that they we're hives. At the time the hives started, I was taking a prescription drug called Quinine Sulfate for leg cramps that this drug Singulair (for my sinuses), seemed to cause. The Quinine Sulfate, helped get rid of the leg cramps. Right before the outbreak of the Hives, I noticed that I started getting minor leg cramps again, which I never got before, so in the back of my mind I started wondering if the Quinine wasn't helping.

Then one night maybe a day after that, (i accidently ate real soy sauce with a chinese dinner I got from what was suppossed to be a Gluten Free menu), I did notice a change in the taste of the sauce, but not enough to stop eating it. In fact it was so good, I ate the entire dish that night, with the entire cup of soy sauce. I just remember it tasting 'better than usual', but I didn't think about it at the time I was scarfing it!

I woke up the next morning with a horrendous itch that was coming from inside of my thigh. I never felt an itch so intense like this itch. I started scratching it, and ended up using a gift card (credit card), and scraped it against my thigh till it bled. A rash formed, probably from the scraping, no blisters just little dots. I realized at that point that scratching wasn't the answer, it only made it itch more!

That was a saturday, so for all that week-end the itch was all over my body, and little goose-bump size bumps formed everywhere, and they itched miserably! I learned to rub them softly, that it was better to lightly rub them. For whatever reason, my bumps, (which I learned) were hives hated clothes, so I couldn't wear clothes, they felt miserable on my body, so I walked around with my panties on, and this really soft throw, that for some reason didn't bother my skin constantly. My bumps also hated WATER, everytime I had to wash my face, it was horrrible, my neck would get all red and blotchy and break out in goose-bump size hives, and my chest would as well. I didn't take baths, because baths we're purely EVIL to my skin. I only took 2 a week, so I didn't smell, when I took one I just itched like crazy for atleast an hour or so.

Anyway I found out that the Quinine can cause an outbreak of hives. I found this out on my own, so I stopped it immediately, and have been off of it one month.

I was still confused about what caused the incident with the hives so I went to my doctor (the only one who knows about my celiac condition), and he talked to me for about an hour and said he really thought it was the Quinine, and not the Soy.

I ended up taking 2 Prednisone a day for about 2 1/2 to 3 weeks, and 3 zyrtec a day, and 2 zantac a day. That made my life wonderful again, except for some weightgain on the Prednisone. I got off of the Prednisone about one week ago, I was so nervous, but I didn't have any problems.

I thought this was over. It's not.

As soon as I started tapering off of the zytec to 2 a day for about 3 days, and then I tried to go down on the Zantac as well from 2 a day to one a day. So I was taking 2 zrytec (1 AM, 1PM), AND 1 Zantac at night, I started breaking out in hives again. Just a few though.

Last night I noticed a big change for the worse, I went down to one zyrtec at night, and 2 zantac. I started itching again, and my clothes started really bothering me. I started breaking out on my chest and on my arms.

I'm runnning out quickly of my meds. (zyrtec and zantac)

Tomorrow I will be on none.

I've been off of the Quinine for a month now!

Does anybody know if this could be related to my Celiac Disease???? Like a symptom of it???? I have been gluten free for 3 weeks now, but my husband does the cooking, everything in the kitchen that I know of is gluten free, but I could have accidentally ingested something, even though I have tried so hard to be carefull.

If someone is interested and has an opinion, Could my hives be related to my Celiac Disease and gluten. I mean I have been off of this drug now for 4 weeks.

Thanks for listening,

Sorry again for the novel,

Have a good day,

I look forward to any suggestions you can offer...

I'm about to start school, and thought this was behind me, I'm just really sad and depressed now, that the hives haven't gone away, I guess the medicine masked them. :(

kim...

• 1 month later...
Silver-naki Rookie

Very interesting Post here on the "hives" & problem with Kim's skin.... You had mentioned about the lotions, Laundry detergent, etc; etc;

I too have "itchy" skin alot, and being new to "gluten-free" diet, I am trying to watch out for Products, & also personal care items as well. As of yet, I have NO CLUE what to use for a safe Laundry Detergent, & household cleaning items, etc; etc; and what is GOOD & what is BAD~

I'm not sure if my skin "itching" & sometimes "rashing" is contributed to any household Products & whatnot, because I haven't advanced that far with my shopping endeavors! When I went "gluten-free," I did notice that I didn't "itch" so much, but I still am uncomfortable with my skin still.... I use some of the "anti-itch" creams & such, and they do help. I haven't determined if my skin rashing & itching is caused by Celiac or detergent irritations, etc;?????????

I also am a fanatic for using Baby Oils & Mineral Oils in my Bath water to help the "dry" & "itching" skin, to help sooth it as much as I can... (and I do drink alot of WATER during the course of the day.) But, I still haven't found a cure-all for the "itching" skin.

What's a good Laundry Detergent, Fabric Softner, disinfectant (Clorox, etc;) to switch over to for skin irritations being "gluten-free?" Does anybody have any tips on this??? I've learned to read alot of LABELS in regards to Personal Products & Skin care, such as lotions & things, but haven't got to the Laundry detergent part yet! Some of the irritants in soaps & cleaning supplies might be my problem too....

Any suggestions? :unsure:

teebs in WV Apprentice

Kim,

What you describe sounds an awful lot like DH, but who knows?? This disease is so tricky........ I, too, suffer from breakouts and itchiness - and it sounds just like you describe. It is an itch so intense, you can't even get to it. I have scratched myself so hard at times, I have ended up with huge bruises (that look like I had been beaten!). But, since being diagnosed with DH, and starting on Dapsone and a gluten-free diet, it has gotten much better. I have noticed that certain lotions bother me more than others, and that alcohol does not agree with my skin. Gold Bond Extra Strength Medicated Lotion helps relieve the itching temporarily (I guess it is the menthol). Make sure you aren't using any lotions that contain oats - like Aveeno. Before I was diagnosed, I was using a medicated Aveeno lotion - it felt really good when I first put it on, but later the itching would be worse.

As for laundry detergents, etc., I have not even looked into that yet.

Hang in there - I hope the itching and hives go away.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

something is causing an allergic reaction - or the zyrtec wouldn't have helped. have you tried going off the singulair (only after discussing with your doctor, of course)? you could be reacting to it as well.

other than that, checking everything you have that you come in contact with would be a start. if you have no luck, you might want to enlist the help of an allergist.

TestyTommy Rookie

Kim,

I hope you're still reading the boards, because this sounds a lot like what I've had for the last 7+ years. Only recently have some of my other problems indicated that I have celiac disease. But I have lots of experience dealing with itching!

First, use a lotion with lanolin and NO fragrance. My favorite is Vaseline Intensive Care "Advanced Healing". It's in the white bottle. Make sure it says 'fragrance free'. I use it twice a day --- in the evening after i shower and again in the morning before I dress. After the shower, don't dry off completely. Pat your slin dry and put the lotion on your damp skin.

As far as laundry detergent, etc. I use ALL 'Free' detergent and Downy "Free and Sensitive". Both are in white bottles and carried by target and every grocery store I've been to. Target also has a "method" brand that I've used recently with no problem. It's in a brown/tan bottle. The only bleach I've found is made by 'Seventh Generation'. It's hard to find and expensive, so I use it sparingly.

Check your soap, too. The only one I like is Dial Pure and Natural. Dove makes a 'sensitive skin' version, but make sure you rinse it off thoroghly. It has some sort of moisturizer in it that made me itch worse.

For shampoo and facial soap, I use Johnson baby shampoo and baby wash. It's the only things I've found that don't make the itching worse. You can find those at Target or any grocery store.

jerseyangel Proficient

I use soap, shampoo, conditioner and lotion fron The Gluten Free Savonnerie. They use no gluten, nuts, soy, casein, fragrance or colorants at all in any of their products. No chance of CC there. For laundry, I use Purex Free & Clear. Switching laundry products made a difference in the itching for me, There are a couple brands of fabric softener sheets that come in a fragrence free version--All and Bounce and I'm sure others. I do use Clorox bleach--on occasion--and always use a 2nd. rinse when I do. I do not wear clothes that have to be dry cleaned because of the chemicals they use. I have some leather and suede jackets that I bought at QVC that are machine washable. All of this, and I still get the itching, but it's not nearly as bad and it dosen't interfere with my sleep anymore. I can live with it now.

MACE Rookie

I will just add this, sometimes if having a reaction to medicine it can take weeks to get out of your system. I had a reaction ( hives ) from a water pill I was given. I thought I would go nuts and did scratch at times that I would bleed, did this in my sleep at times. It took over 4 weeks for it to completely stop.

Archived