• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

VydorScope

How Cool Is This?

Rate this topic

Man, every parent always wonders what they are in for when they drop off thier child at a trusted day care when the normal teacher not there. Even worse for us with celiac disease-Kids. Well today is a odd day for us because my wife has extra chior practice for the Church Christmas concert, and I had work so needed to leave our son with the childcare at the church. Normaly we plan at least a few extra mins t breif new teachers, even have a full page printed doc for them to refer to if they have any questions, etc etc. He normaly only goes to Sunday school, and twice a week "pre school" there. I do not knwo the staff that works on Saturdays...

Well I saw the teacher and asked if she was familure with my son, and she said "No, but its okay I have Celiac Diseas"

I was speechless, I was not ready for that :lol: I had in my mind all the things to say about it, and what to durring snack time, and etc. I was not at all prepaired for that answer!

This also shows that we are doing a good job getting the word out to the staff there about him, since I did not have to tell her about celiac disease, she knew he had it.

Felt odd to leave there with out the normal speech on it though... like I was betraying my son's care or somthing. :lol:

Oh and get this... She had her son with her, and as I left I heard him say to her "He has celiac disease too? Cool." LOL celiac disease is cool now? Man guess we are the "in crowd" for a change!

It's amazing how many people have celiac. There's so many out there suffering out there that also have it and don't know it. Before I became sick, I never heard of gluten or celiac.

You're very lucky to have found daycare with a celiac caregiver. I'm sure it gives you peace of mind. :)

Well now everyone will want this, so they can be part of the "IN" crowd.

Believe me, I didn't want years of agony to be part of this.

Yep, that is so cool! Not that I think it's great to have celiac disease, but I am so looking forward to the day when it'll be like saying you have diabetes - and get an understanding and/or sympathetic nod instead of the blank stare and endless questions.

That is cool!

Granted, I live in Los Angeles, city of unusual foods and diets, but at a recent moms meeting we had several new people, about 8-10 moms total plus kids, and at least 3 of the families were wheat free :) :) And, we just found out the boy down the street is gluten free. :) :) So now we know where to go if there is an earthquake and all that's handed out are the dreaded MREs, lol....

Merika

Vincent - that must have been so relieving! That is beyond cool! As awareness increases and more people are diagnosed w/celiac disease, I think this will happen more and more. :)

- Lauren

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Top Posters +

• Upcoming Events

• April 17, 2019 Until April 27, 2019
      April 17-27, 2020   For the past few years many of you have asked us to arrange a River Boat Cruise that will allow us to visit Amsterdam's famous Keukenhof Gardens at its prime time of the blossoming of the millions of Tulips and Hyacinths - alongside the windmills of the Netherlands.  With the participation of a minimum of 20 persons we have arranged an All-Inclusive Cruise from Antwerp to Amsterdam.  This cruise will not be offered to the public until January, 2019 and always sells out quickly.   THERE WILL BE NO MONEY REQUIRED NOR COMMITMENT FROM YOU until we have all the final costs and details.  If you are at all interested check out our website for as many of the details that we have as of this time.   We need your request to be placed on a list of interested participants so we can present that number to Uniworld to show we have the sincere interest in this All-Inclusive Bob & Ruth's Gluten-free Cruise.   PLEASE CHECK OUT OUR WEBSITE FOR THE DETAILED INFORMATION THAT WE HAVE AS OF THIS TIME.   http://bobandruths.com
    • April 24, 2019 04:00 PM Until 08:00 AM

Celiac Emotional Healing Support Group

Again you are invited to join Johnny Patout, LCSW for Baton Rouge's first emotional healing support group meeting to assist those living with celiac disease manage the emotional challenges so many of us face. Most often the emotional disturbances include depression, disinterest in normal activities, insomnia, grief, mood changes, anxiety, inability to concentrate, extreme concern about managing a gluten-free lifestyle and other emotional and behavioral challenges.

The professionals at Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center created the emotional healing support group to give us a safe place to begin to process our emotions and support each other as we heal emotionally while managing celiac disease and the resulting autoimmune disorders.

The emotional healing support group meets every Thursday, 6:00-7:00pm, at the Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center of Baton Rouge. Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center is located at 4637 Jamestown Avenue, Baton Rouge, Suite B-1. Suite B-1 is upstairs.

The support group is free and open everyone managing celiac disease. For more information: emotionalhealingforceliacs@hotmail.com
    • May 04, 2019 Until May 05, 2019
      Nourished Festival is a family-friendly event with 10 locations across the US. Attendees will be able to sample food, health and beauty products, meet with companies, learn about the most current food lifestyles, receive coupons and attend educational sessions with industry experts. 
      Nourished Festival, managed by The Nourished Group and presented by Enjoy Life Foods, is the largest gluten-free, allergy-friendly and specialty diet event in the US, with 10 locations including.
      ABOUT THE NOURISHED FESTIVALS
      Managed by The Nourished Group, formerly The Gluten Free Media Group, The Nourished Festivals are the largest and fastest growing special diet consumer events in the United States. Started in 2007, the events have expanded from one to ten cities throughout the country. The festivals cater to anyone looking to lead a healthier lifestyle or those who follow a specialty diet due to autoimmune conditions, food sensitivities, allergies or intolerances. Offerings including Paleo, Keto, Plant-Based, Gluten-Free, Allergen-Friendly and Nut-Free products. The events provide the opportunity for attendees to sample and purchase new products, receive coupons, meet with brand ambassadors and attend educational classes with industry experts. For more information, visit http://www.nourishedfestival.com