This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

katerplum

katerplum Newbie

I have been having issues for some time, but they have gotten worse in the last 6 months. I got to the point wear I hardly ate, because my body didn't want anything. You name it, I experienced it: exhaustion, diarrhea, constipation, bloating, cramping...

I finally went to a gastroenterologist in July and the doc did every test. I just got the results back today. He says that my results are negative and that I have IBS-A, I am severely anemic (iron deficiency), and I have some acid reflux issues. He also said that because my mother has celiac sprue, that I will also have it...some day soon, but not now. 

These were the results:

Deaminated Gliadin Peptide IgA: 47.82 RU/mL (ref range s 0-25)

Deaminated Gliadin Peptide IgG: 43.46 RU/mL (ref range 0-25)

Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA: 21.24 RU/mL (ref range 0-20)

Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgG: Negative 

I think the doc is wrong and that I need to go on a gluten-free diet.

Any thoughts? 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gemini Experienced
39 minutes ago, katerplum said:

I have been having issues for some time, but they have gotten worse in the last 6 months. I got to the point wear I hardly ate, because my body didn't want anything. You name it, I experienced it: exhaustion, diarrhea, constipation, bloating, cramping...

I finally went to a gastroenterologist in July and the doc did every test. I just got the results back today. He says that my results are negative and that I have IBS-A, I am severely anemic (iron deficiency), and I have some acid reflux issues. He also said that because my mother has celiac sprue, that I will also have it...some day soon, but not now. 

These were the results:

Deaminated Gliadin Peptide IgA: 47.82 RU/mL (ref range s 0-25)

Deaminated Gliadin Peptide IgG: 43.46 RU/mL (ref range 0-25)

Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA: 21.24 RU/mL (ref range 0-20)

Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgG: Negative 

I think the doc is wrong and that I need to go on a gluten-free diet.

Any thoughts? 

Your doctor is wrong on so many levels and you are right....you need to go gluten-free if all testing has been completed.  Did they biopsy you or was the biopsy negative?  It doesn't really matter because that can happen if they missed the sweet spots where damage occurred.  With these test results and the fact you have "in your face" symptoms of Celiac, plus a Celiac mother, what is it he/she doesn't get?  It would have been great if they had done the EMA blood test, along with the others you had done because with a positive EMA and a positive tTg, that's a slam dunk for Celiac without the biopsy.  Severe anemia doesn't happen from heavy periods, unless you are bleeding to death.  :rolleyes:

It is also incorrect that a person will automatically have it if a blood relative does.  You inherit the genetics but you need a trigger...and apparently you had a trigger. 

I would suggest getting another doc anyway because this one is dangerous.  You can either get a second opinion for a diagnosis or go gluten free to start your healing now.  Then have the blood work repeated in about 6 months to see if the numbers have gone down or normalized. You don't need a GI doc once diagnosed, unless you have continuing troubles.  You can have your PCP do the blood work to check antibodies in future.  Good luck to you!

cyclinglady Grand Master

Gemini is right.  Your doctor is dead wrong!!!!!   You should try to find another GI, preferably one who is celiac savvy!   Need  more proof?  Keep researching celiac disease and you will see that we are right and not some kooks in the internet giving you advice.   

Celiac_Disease_Diagnostic_Testing_Algori

cyclinglady Grand Master

Having issues with pasting a link.....here is the testing algorithm for celiac disease:

Open Original Shared Link

Archived