Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×

Rate this topic

Hi all,

so ive been tested for Coeliac Disease due to lethargy, brain fog, anxiety and I have MTHFR. The results are below. Is another test available? Did I miss a test? 

tTG IgA Abs 1U/ml.   ( <7 )

Deamidated Gleason IgG Abs 1U/mp ( <7 )

IgA 1.6g/L ( 0.7 - 4.0 )

Ive had a 23andMe test done which says

HLA-2QA2 Risk Allele = A Your Alleles = AA Your Result +/+

thanks

Dave

1 hour ago, dhodgson7 said:

Hi all,

so ive been tested for Coeliac Disease due to lethargy, brain fog, anxiety and I have MTHFR. The results are below. Is another test available? Did I miss a test? 

tTG IgA Abs 1U/ml.   ( <7 )

Deamidated Gleason IgG Abs 1U/mp ( <7 )

IgA 1.6g/L ( 0.7 - 4.0 )

Ive had a 23andMe test done which says

HLA-2QA2 Risk Allele = A Your Alleles = AA Your Result +/+

thanks

Dave

Hi!  

Some 30% of the population carries the genes that can develop into celiac disease.  Only a very few actually do.  This test is used usually to rule out celiac disease.   The other tests measuring antibodies?   Do you have the ranges?  Every lab is different.  

I believe the American Gastroenterology association says that screening for celiac is just the Anti-TTG IgA and a total IgA level if you have low suspicion and the full panel if you have a high suspicion. The test missing from yours that would make it a "full panel" is an endomysial antibody.

Do you have a family history?

7 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

Hi!  

Some 30% of the population carries the genes that can develop into celiac disease.  Only a very few actually do.  This test is used usually to rule out celiac disease.   The other tests measuring antibodies?   Do you have the ranges?  Every lab is different.  

Hi Cyclinglady,

the ranges are in brackets.

rgds

Dave

Okay, I am not a doctor, but based on just these results, you do not have celiac disease (and you know that already).    But there are other things that might come into the diagnostic equation and you should discuss with your doctor.  Before asking for additional celiac testing, do you have any these other risk factors (besides the genes)?  

For example do you have any relatives who have been diagnosed with celiac disease or another autoimmune disease?  Do you have any other autoimmune diseases?  

Read about the risk factors for developing celiac disease here:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/celiac-disease/symptoms-causes/dxc-20214627

in my case, my GI ordered the entire blood panel because I had another commonly associated AI disorder, Autoimmune Thyroiditis (Hashimoto's).    My Mom and sibling have autoimmune thyroiditis, and my Grandmother had RA and Lupus.   I also had unexplained anemia all my life.  

celiac disease Blood Panel:

• TTG IgA and TTG Igg
  • DGP IgA and DGP IgG
  • EMA IgA
  • IgA Deficiency (used as a control test in this case.  Validates all IgA tests e.g. TTG IgA)

While you have issues like anxiety and brain fog, those are often common with other autoimmune disorders or other illnesses.   So, it is difficult to base a diagnosis on symptoms.  

Talk about the results with your doctor.  If celiac disease is ruled out, consider testing the diet.  You might feel better!  In any case, keep advocating for your health.