Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
1 1
goonman

Perianal abscess disappears with avoiding gluten, comes back when eating gluten

Rate this topic

What kind of sorcery is this? It's all predictable too, I made a test to see if its related. I ate gluten free one week, the perianal abscess dried up and disappeared. I ate a pizza at the end of the week and the abscess came back swelling like a balloon. One day after it not eating gluten and it went back inside. Anyone have any explanations about this? Any theories? This just boggles my mind. Thanks!

Do you have rashes anywhere?  I ask because I have DH and gluten gives me blisters on it's way out.  Although DH lesions tend to take a while to heal.

You may want to consider asking your GP for a Celiac panel. Keep eating gluten until you are done testing. It could be a coincidence that your abcess cleared up while not eating gluten and came back when you consumed gluten again.

Thanks for your reply I've tested it about 4 times if its coincidental, the abscess comes back and goes away predictably everytime i cut off / resume gluten. I had a staph infection where the abscess was 4 years ago, it refills everytime I eat gluten. I have no rashes.

Thanks

• Upvote 1

On 8/26/2017 at 10:08 PM, goonman said:

Thanks for your reply I've tested it about 4 times if its coincidental, the abscess comes back and goes away predictably everytime i cut off / resume gluten. I had a staph infection where the abscess was 4 years ago, it refills everytime I eat gluten. I have no rashes.

Thanks

It looks like you have an issue with gluten. If you search the forum you'll see others with abcesses which resolved once gluten was removed. Testing for celiac is probably your next step as RWG says. You'll need to stay eating it for the duration of testing. 

Alternatively you could go gluten free as it does seem like it's a problem for you. The diet is quite a lifestyle change for most however and many find it easier with the diagnosis behind them.

More info available here. or via the forum faq stickied above. 

Best of luck!

Thanks

That's really kind of amazing! Wow! I'd say get tested for celiac with the blood test asap. If it's a no go, just stay off gluten then. Glad your problem is so easily controlled!