Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
2 2
Christina.V

Bloodwork + Strep?

Rate this topic

Can anyone point me towards a legit source that would state that blood work can be affected by strep? I have asked our GI doc to run bloodwork for my daughter but the co-parent is saying he won't do it because she was diagnosed with strep recently. The Dr. says in writing that they aren't related.

I haven't heard that.  but just wait a week to satisfy the other parent?

Why do they think that would effect testing? Maybe they read somewhere that testing is impacted by steroids like prednisone and think that applies to antibiotics also? If showing the doctors statement in writing doesn't ease their fears then as was suggested just wait until strep is done.

I'm sure we will wait, but the reason I ask is because he thinks this is nothing more than a "witch hunt" (his words) and keeps delaying the testing over and over again. I just wanted to find out if there was any validity to his claims. If anyone DOES have a study they can point to, I would appreciate it!

3 hours ago, Christina.V said:

I'm sure we will wait, but the reason I ask is because he thinks this is nothing more than a "witch hunt" (his words) and keeps delaying the testing over and over again. I just wanted to find out if there was any validity to his claims. If anyone DOES have a study they can point to, I would appreciate it!

I don't think you need both parents permission to have the tests done. If the tests do show celiac you may need to have him meet with her doctor to stress the importance of being strict with the diet.  If she is having symptoms I would definately listen to the doctor and not him as far as the need to test is concerned as celiac can impact brain function which can impact both mood and learning.

After she tested positive in 2014 did she ever get the biopsy? Probably need that for a 504 plan, but I saw today a student who has a plan for a wheat allergy that's not a 504 plan. Just a regular medication listing.