Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
BlackShoesBlackSocks

Clubbed Nails...flattening?

Rate this topic

This is so crazy to me. my nails have been clubbed since childhood, not anything as severe as what you would see in pics if you googled it but enough for doctors to mention.

l noticed today at work  the front of my nails looked different, kind of smaller l kept staring and eventually turned my thumb and fingers to the side and my fingernails now just go directly outward without the downward curve. Thumbnail still curls slightly downward.

Does anyone else have/had clubbed nails? In some cases it can be heart, lung, or autoimmune related. l've had EEGs and ECGs (may be mixing the purpose of these two up) and no detectable heart defect.

But now they look flat after about a month gluten free! Also my hands look a little straighter and less pronounced at the knuckled nelow the nail, they looked almost arthritic for some time.

16 minutes ago, BlackShoesBlackSocks said:

This is so crazy to me. my nails have been clubbed since childhood, not anything as severe as what you would see in pics if you googled it but enough for doctors to mention.

l noticed today at work  the front of my nails looked different, kind of smaller l kept staring and eventually turned my thumb and fingers to the side and my fingernails now just go directly outward without the downward curve. Thumbnail still curls slightly downward.

Does anyone else have/had clubbed nails? In some cases it can be heart, lung, or autoimmune related. l've had EEGs and ECGs (may be mixing the purpose of these two up) and no detectable heart defect.

But now they look flat after about a month gluten free! Also my hands look a little straighter and less pronounced at the knuckled nelow the nail, they looked almost arthritic for some time.

Omg, I totally forgot about this! My fingers at the joints were getting a bit wonky- arthritisy looking when I was in my late 30's. I didn't have arthritis, they were just starting to look very odd. I've always thrown on the potters wheel so I thought it may have to do with that. That's also where I thought my dh was coming from - clay. Anyway, after going gluten-free my fingers totally straightened back out! Took a year for me to notice but wow! Not that my fingers look great or anything. Still the same shortish sausages that were never meant to play for the piano!

• Like 1

My daughter has mildly clubbed toenails (can't tell about finger nails because she bites them). I am very happy your nails 'unclubbed.' My daughter has only been on the GFD for a little over a week..... I hope her nails start to grow normally too.... that would be great!

Clubbed nails are linked with celiac disease/other GI problems in a couple places. I first read about it on an old post in this site (interesting tidbit on finger/toenails topic)

you can also find it listed in a few places as a celiac symptom... here's a couple

https://childrensnational.org/choose-childrens/conditions-and-treatments/stomach-digestion-gi/celiac-disease (all the way down the list in skeletal)

http://www.nytimes.com/health/guides/symptoms/clubbing-of-the-fingers-or-toes/overview.html

• Like 1

lm pretty  surprised they never thought about gastro issues or celiac. l was around 10 when my mom said the docs also tested for lupus! l am not a lupus expert by any means but it seems more rare in kids and l had none of the symptoms.

This would have been '94. One of the first things l noticed after going  gluten-free was wayyyy less pain my feet and legs in general, but l'm not sure if toes were clubbed. l don't think so.

Thumbnails still have have the dip down and sharp rise up and are extremely wide, but so are my mom's thumbs, lol. Maybe just giant thumb genetics :P