This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Testing later today and chronic abdomen pain

Kezkez34

Kezkez34 Newbie

Hi the last 6 weeks ive been having chronic stabbing upper abdomen pain (i had bowel surgery when i was first born 35 years ago) ive had numerous tests at the hospital and other than fecal loading and an unobstructing kidney stones, nothing has been found. Ive been to my doctors so many times and they found high white blood count in my urine. The pain is a stabbing pain when its severe and i know pasta, chocolate, ready meals and battered fish cause this so far. The doctor is doing a celiac screening for me later today, the pains i get are

Constant dull ache across abdomen (in bowel surgery scar) which can become severe anytime but usually after eating

Excessive gas and bloating small intestines (never had or heard anything like it) and alot of the time i cant release it

Swelling after eating certain foods and then severe pain sometimes as soon as ive swollowed food

Tiredness, brain fog, cant concentrate or focus, no energy, lost loads of weight and now look ill as i was only thin to begin with

But its the cripping pain ive had all day and night which affects me most and was today after eating white bread and malted milk biscuits (thats all ive had) 

Can anyone please tell me if or how i can get rid of these pains in upper abdomen. I have 2 children 1 is disabled and i cant do what im meant to be doing

The doctor put me on nefopam, i get tingling and detatchment with half a tablet but i take it anyway

Amitrytiline but im scared to take this as at the min i have reactions to every tablet (im allergic to codeine and morphine) its only 10mg but has anyone tried this? 

Omoprazole 40mg a day

Paracetamol which doesnt help at all

Acudiphilus which i had my first tonight 

Laxido and suppositories to clear the fecal loading 

Ive been told so many different things too like kidney, pancreas, liver, scar adhesions, costochondritis, heart, constipation chronic by seeinf so many doctors im now really anxious too 

However im 99% sure its celiac as i have almost all the symptons

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Victoria1234 Experienced

Welcome.

If it is celiac, going gluten-free will be your cure. But don't do that yet. You've got to wait till all the testing is over.  After the blood test results there may be another test, an endoscopy, to look at the upper gi area. And you need to be eating gluten for that.

Its terrible you are in so much pain. Before I went gluten-free, I was on more pain meds than I care to list. My abdominal pain was horrendous. I had several unnecessary surgeries too. The docs had no idea. You are lucky your doc is on board with you and testing you! Good luck later today and I hope you get your answers soon so you can get back to your life.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

So sorry to hear you are in so much pain. Don't go gluten free yet as you need to be eating gluten for the tests to be accurate. What tests are they doing? They should be doing a full celiac panel and an endoscopy with at least 6 biopsies.  As to the amitrytiline it is often used at very low doses (like what you were prescribed) for pain. It helps some folks and does nothing for others. I am in the latter group but was often prescribed it prediagnosis. I never had any ill effects but I was on so many meds back then that it would have been hard to tell.

I hope you get some clear answers and some relief soon.

Awol cast iron stomach Experienced

Finish the challenge/testing as the other posters advise. I'm glad your testing is imminent .

check check check on all your symptoms. I've had them all. (Only symptom I do not get is loss of weight I actually bloat to the point of looking pregnant and become dehydrated)

I know the sharp stabbing you describe under the ribs very well. Practically threw me out of bed. It won't stop the pain but fresh ginger minced in hot water or juiced in hot water and warm baths helped distract me from the pain. 

Once your done you can go gluten-free as other posters said. I initially had to blend my foods for a few weeks to ease my gi tract. Whole foods , anti inflammatory based foods, I did fresh ginger tea, but it's mostly time. I found I had additional intolerances too I had to drop gluten, dairy, corn and then all grains.

as others said your body will guide you.

best wishes for comfort during healing . 

Kezkez34 Newbie

Hi so sorry for the late reply, ive been in hospital for unexplained pain again (sams pain) they did a ultrasound but again found nothing except fecal impaction but they dont know how it became that bad if i had a colonoscopy 8 weeks ago. The lady doing the ultrasound said yes could be celiac...i just got around to doing the blood test for it this morning. Now ive done it ive brought gluten foods although this is a job in itself. Love my cakes, buscuits etc lol. My pain is still pretty bad although i did eat white bread before blood test. Doctor refuses to do anymore major tests. Although he also did a magnesium, cpr and b12 one today too. How do you cope. My pain is everyday...all day...although it changes from dull to sharp when it chooses to. How long does it take to get better? 

Awol cast iron stomach Experienced

My joint pain and muscle pain began to lift at 7-8 months. It was unrelenting and daily. I coped using acupuncture, warm Epsom salt baths, tons of water. If your able to take vitamins as well they will help. I got multiple intolerances after that really complicated getting vitamins in me. I was vitamin D deficient before years back so I always know I need that. However I couldn't tolerate vitamins initially.

I still have bad days gi, overall inflammation, and muscle aches. However I had that most of the past 20 years so I plow through.The fatigue is lifting but trying to do too much or workout can quickly deplete my energy. Pacing oneself is essential.

Oct 2017 will be one year for me. I don't feel healed or like when I was healthier in my former gluten-free years before someone considered/willing to test me. I certainly don't look as well. I lost my balance stepping off the curb today- thankfully didn't fall. -sigh- So I'm guessing it's going to be over a year maybe two . I am aiming for a year and a half as a b day gift to myself. We will see:

I do hope you are able to get some rest soon. The physical pain was tough the first 4 -6 months then it turned to a constant dull ache. I was so exhausted as the body started to heal, when I started to get hungry I realized The body was working hard to heal. Fatigue eat heal- repeat. Then the reality of the actual condition I had to fully accept hit me. I suspected it, but when I actually realized I had this my whole life and all the feelings that brought on I completely underestimated that portion. 

My systems are still off gi not where I want it and know it can be.

I am sorry to hear you are in pain and that they will not test or do more. Is this a gi Dr?

My cousin told me on my journey to also see a rheumatologist. So I saw immunologist, gi, and rheum in 2016. Some people try the diet to rule out NCGS which they do not currently have a standardized /technology lab tests anyways at this time. 

I'll be honest comfort is likely fleeting for a few months. It will come treat yourself gently and kindly on this journey to health.

good luck

Archived