Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
2 2
Mel31

Gluten challenge for toddler - how long?

Rate this topic

Hi everyone,

My 20 month old daughter has anemia and chronic constipation and the pediatrician wants to test for celiac. After the doctor suggested gluten could be the issue we decided to cut it out and see if it makes a difference while we were waiting for the pediatrician appointment.

She was gluten free for a bit over a month and her constipation improved as well as her eczema and she seemed happier. 

The doctor ordered the blood test and said we need to give her gluten for 3-4 weeks but since we started giving her gluten foods again her constipation has come back, she's been really cranky and her eczema has gotten worse again. I don't like seeing her like this and don't want to do another three weeks of this. 

My question is, can we do the test after say 2 weeks back on gluten considering she was only gluten free for a month?

Thanks

Hi - we did gluten free for 1 month and then back on gluten for 2 weeks and tested. It came back as barely positive. We were referred to a GI and he said we should have waited at least 12 weeks. You could always test at 4 weeks and if it's negative test again in 12? I considered doing that. 

Make sure you do the whole panel. The ttg IGA isn't as sensitive for kids under 2. I don't have the name of all the tests handy but there should be at least 5. 

Thank you, I think I'm going to wait for another couple of weeks so it's 4 weeks back on gluten. The doctor ordered 3 different tests. I was recently tested and it came back negative but they only did igA and another one.

On 28/09/2017 at 1:05 PM, alioubba said:

Make sure you do the whole panel. The ttg IGA isn't as sensitive for kids under 2. I don't have the name of all the tests handy but there should be at least 5. 

Would it be possible to come back negative for a few and only one positive? Is that still considered positive then?

You only need one positive on the celiac panel.  Four weeks is iffy despite being gluten free  for just a month.  No problem, you can always retest after continuing on for another two months of gluten.  The issue will be with your doctor or insurance.  You might have to pay out if pocket.  Even if negative, keep in mind testing for someone that young can be hard.  They might not be able to generate enough  antibodies at that age.  

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/at-what-age-should-children-get-tested-for-celiac-disease/

Edited by cyclinglady

6 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

You only need one positive on the celiac panel.  Four weeks is iffy despite being gluten free  for just a month.  No problem, you can always retest after continuing on for another two months of gluten.  The issue will be with your doctor or insurance.  You might have to pay out if pocket.  Even if negative, keep in mind testing for someone that young can be hard.  They might not be able to generate enough  antibodies at that age.  

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/at-what-age-should-children-get-tested-for-celiac-disease/

Thank you